What a difference a few months makes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
Here's some pictures of our pond that Mr. Dragonfish dug out this spring.

Everything grew in nicely, and then...

snow. This is what we woke up to yesterday morning. Our forth snow since Halloween.

Attachments

• img_6148.jpg
    img_6148.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 133
  • img_6155.jpg
    img_6155.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 121
  • img_6156.jpg
    img_6156.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 126
  • img_6191.jpg
    img_6191.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 122
Id of thought they did.
You havent got enough moving water to stop it from freezing at one end. You need to get some moving water and the other end to stop it.
Look at the pics in my pond of my koi carp.
(i know mines smaller but its the principle)

Did all of the fish die ? :(

None at all. We had a stock tank heater in one of the filter barrels which kept it from completely freezing and just added a stock tank ice melter in the smaller pond which is where the pumps are. Combined they seem to be keeping the water at about 36 degrees as of this morning. The heater is adjustable, so if we need to we can raise the temp more.

Id of thought they did.
You havent got enough moving water to stop it from freezing at one end. You need to get some moving water and the other end to stop it.
Look at the pics in my pond of my koi carp.
(i know mines smaller but its the principle)

We do have moving water, and plenty of it. The old ice melter we had malfunctioned and didn't keep the top of the lower pond from getting a thin layer of ice. As cold as it got, the water in the stream was still moving under a layer of ice. This is normal here in our Colorado winters.

Nice pond! Glad to hear the fish didn't die :)

Is it all koi???

Hopefully the snow will let up eventually so you can put them back in the water.

Nice pond! Glad to hear the fish didn't die :)

Is it all koi???

Hopefully the snow will let up eventually so you can put them back in the water.

Thank you,

We're glad we noticed the problem with the ice melter not working. It could have been worse for sure.

We have mostly koi, a few comets, shubunkins, rosey reds and weather loaches.

They were in the pond. That's why we keep a stock tank heater in it.

Thank you,

We're glad we noticed the problem with the ice melter not working. It could have been worse for sure.

We have mostly koi, a few comets, shubunkins, rosey reds and weather loaches.

They were in the pond. That's why we keep a stock tank heater in it.

Definitely! It might have froze nover.

Sounds like an awesome pond with a variety of fish! Must look amazing after the snow is gone :)

Ah, I see. Missed that part, my bad. Hopefully you can get your ice melter working again!

Looking good. Why was he lucky robert? If your pond is a suitable depth and you allow at least some surface area to remain unfrozen, they shouldn't die. Nice set up.

Koikid88 said:
Looking good. Why was he lucky robert? If your pond is a suitable depth and you allow at least some surface area to remain unfrozen, they shouldn't die. Nice set up.

He was lucky it didnt freeze completly.
And loose all hi fish

Back
Top Bottom