What are your favorite pond or bog plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharpchick

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can't wait to see how this corkscrew rush fills out. I just love the form of this plant, which is planted in my bog filter for my new pond.

73133-albums11916-picture55793.jpg

Enjoy the corkscrew rush.
My favorite water plant is likely to be the one i'm looking at
Looking at 20 acres of pickeral weed in bloom that might be my favorite.

The thing about water plants is you best like the ones you have because they grow to more.
I put a few equisetum in a pot last year I just repotted it and got ten clumps to make new pots.

Below are a few photos of emergent and bog type plants I have
The first three are border plant in my lily pond that has aliner and filtration system
The spider water orchid has little flowers that look like spiders.
String lily
Banana lily ( photo shows a new plant forming at the leaf)

The next 2 grow in man made natural ponds
Scarlet hibiscus
American lotus ( second largest flower in north America )

Attachments

• image-3252738219.jpg
    image-3252738219.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image-3884544326.jpg
    image-3884544326.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 106
  • image-1903109133.jpg
    image-1903109133.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image-2405089894.jpg
    image-2405089894.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image-2117151851.jpg
    image-2117151851.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 117
Enjoy the corkscrew rush.
My favorite water plant is likely to be the one i'm looking at
Looking at 20 acres of pickeral weed in bloom that might be my favorite.

The thing about water plants is you best like the ones you have because they grow to more.
I put a few equisetum in a pot last year I just repotted it and got ten clumps to make new pots.

Below are a few photos of emergent and bog type plants I have
The first three are border plant in my lily pond that has aliner and filtration system
The spider water orchid has little flowers that look like spiders.
String lily
Banana lily ( photo shows a new plant forming at the leaf)

The next 2 grow in man made natural ponds
Scarlet hibiscus
American lotus ( second largest flower in north America )

Those are beautiful plants! How large is your pond?

That is an awesome looking plant! Your yard looks very pretty too. Post a yard shot?

I have a very small lot, but the Type A in me has sectioned it up into outdoor rooms.

This is the east garden, looking north from the pond.

73133-albums12277-picture55832.jpg

This is the east garden from the front deck (pond is in the upper left side of the shot).

73133-albums12277-picture55831.jpg

Those photos were taken on 21 April, before the clematis bloomed, and before the azalea was in full bloom.

That is gorgeous Sharpchick! I'm jealous! I live in northern Alberta so a pond is not really feasible for me. This year we got snow in the beginning of October and we still have it now. Lol. Anywhere where the sun doesn't hit still has a good foot of snow. I would have to have the fish inside for more than half a year each year.

Those are beautiful plants! How large is your pond?

The lily pond with liner is 15x25 it has a shelf around the edge with iris, pickerel weed, string lilies, golden club, spider water orchids, equisetum, tea cup taro, banana lilies, arrow arum and lilies in the middle. The phot is a couple years old.

We have 4 other ponds that are dug but sort of natural. Largest is about 1/2 an acre. W

Since we don't get cold enough for ice to form We have 10 large pots around full of water and plants.
Most will hold 1 or 2 small tropical lilies ( tina, josephine) and a few emergent plants a few gambusia and frogs come and go.
One is full of lemon bacopa which trails over the edge..

Attachments

• image-901985440.jpg
    image-901985440.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 118
That is gorgeous Sharpchick! I'm jealous! I live in northern Alberta so a pond is not really feasible for me. This year we got snow in the beginning of October and we still have it now. Lol. Anywhere where the sun doesn't hit still has a good foot of snow. I would have to have the fish inside for more than half a year each year.

We're having some of our weird Arkansas weather now.

Earlier this week, our high got to 86F. The temp in the pond was 72F.

Now it's raining and the air temp when I wake tomorrow is supposed to be around 40F. I had to wag pots of succulents in today to slumber on my washing machine to keep them out of the paws of the cats and the dog. I imagine the temp in the pond will drop back into the 50s - and we have another cold night forecast.

The lily pond with liner is 15x25 it has a shelf around the edge with iris, pickerel weed, string lilies, golden club, spider water orchids, equisetum, tea cup taro, banana lilies, arrow arum and lilies in the middle. The phot is a couple years old.

We have 4 other ponds that are dug but sort of natural. Largest is about 1/2 an acre. W

Since we don't get cold enough for ice to form We have 10 large pots around full of water and plants.
Most will hold 1 or 2 small tropical lilies ( tina, josephine) and a few emergent plants a few gambusia and frogs come and go.

Sometimes, I really envy you guys in FL (not during hurricane season, of course).

That is a drop dead gorgeous pond. And to be able to have containers around like that...

Sometimes, I really envy you guys in FL (not during hurricane season, of course).

That is a drop dead gorgeous pond. And to be able to have containers around like that...

Thanks

Florida is a great place for water gardening.
Lots of things go dormant when we get a frost but then they bounce back in days or weeks depending.

Al

Trapped in paradise no plans to escape

That pond is beautiful!!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom