What coldwater fish can I get for a 10 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r4vens

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! I’m super new to setting up a proper tank and I’ve been reading a lot online. I’m going to wait the proper three weeks and I have been. One thing I’ve noticed, that’s a bit of a problem, is the fact my tank remains at roughly 68 degrees constantly and most fresh water tropical fish need just above that. Are there any species of fish I can buy that would be comfortable at that temperature as well as live comfortably in a 10 gal tank?

White Cloud Mountain Minnows should be fine at that temperature and tank size.
Waiting 3 weeks does nothing. Either you do a fish-in cycle with numerous water changes or fishless cycle. Both will take more than 3 weeks. A decent liquid based test kit is recommended (e.g. - API Freshwater Master Test Kit),

@Fresh2o Thanks for the tip, those minnows are super cute! Oh no! Well I did add dechlorinator, and I was hoping to do a fishless cycle? So how long would you suggest waiting? A month? 2 months?

Another vote for White Clouds. They will do well at 68 deg and they're active little fish that are fun to watch. You could have about 10-12 in a 10 gallon and they're easy to breed.

Why not add a heater so you can have more choices. An automatic heater will do the job for you.

Guppies tolerate sub tropical temperatures and do not require a heater if your house stays above 60 degrees.

Endlers livebearer also doesn't require a heater.

shrimp are a good cold water option too

But only after the tank has been cycled AND stable for a month or so.... longer than that.

WCMM or Endlers but Endlers will create so many more babies, you'd need another tank!

You could go with male Endlers. Really beautiful colors. An all male tank will be very pretty and you could mix colors with out concern of hybridizing. Males tend to be colorful and females larger and mostly plain and hardly look like the same fish.

There are possibly some other options. 67/68F is at the borderline with some fish.

Back
Top Bottom