What kind of substrate with fancy goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salukie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about getting some goldfish! I have many questions... But first, what kind of substrate works best? Sand, gravel, rocks?
Can I use driftwood?

Thanks in advance!

And if anyone has any advice or links to good goldfish info, I would appreciate it. :)

Any kind you prefer! Unless you're getting some of the more rediculous varieties like bubble-eyes, then substrate is just an aesthetic choice. And you can use driftwood, but make sure you soak it for a while and get all the tannins out. I don't think goldfish love blackwater so much.

My best advice for goldfish is big tanks and lots of filtration. You'll need at least 20 gallons per goldfish, and 30 gallons minimum. And aim for at least 1.5 times the filtration you'd have on any other tank.

Thanks for the reply!
I heard some goldfish like to snack on the substrate sometimes. Is that true? They won't accidentally ingest any gravel or sand while trying to eat sinking food?

Solid Gold on youtube is a great source for goldfish care! She goes over everything, filters, food, tank size, substrate, decor, tank mates, all kinds of stuff. I personally went with sand because I like watching them sift through and spit it out without worrying about little rocks getting stuck in their throat.

Solid Gold on youtube is a great source for goldfish care! She goes over everything, filters, food, tank size, substrate, decor, tank mates, all kinds of stuff. I personally went with sand because I like watching them sift through and spit it out without worrying about little rocks getting stuck in their throat.

All true

Sand! Sand! Sand! I'm biased I love sand and it's much easier to clean than gravel.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yea. Those bubble eyes ones are so bizarre looking

Fishies with friends

My advice dont use gravel large smooth pebbles are better or go bare bottom. goldfish get gravel stuck in there mouths sometimes. Also goldfish are messy animals and a lot of waste stays under the gravel. I believe sand is ok but again waste will sit on it. Nitrate levels stay better with a bare bottom tank and you want to keep it below 20

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got CaribSea Tahitian Moon sand. We'll see how it goes. Thanks everyone!

CaribSea-Super-Naturals-Tahitian-Moon-Sand.jpg

Back
Top Bottom