What size filter will i need for my new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi

I will be getting a new 4ft by 2ft by 2ft tank in a few weeks, im having it custom made. I was just wondering what size filter would I have to get for it eventually.

I plan on using my current filters to get it up and running and cycled but in the long run I would prefer to only have 1 small internal filter for aeration and to have external canister filters only.

I will stock this tank with subtropical fish

Coldwater

1calico fantail
1golden fantail
2 black moors

also subtropical temperate

2 variatus platys
3danios (in mind to up school to 6 later on)
4 cloud minnows (in mind to up school to 6 later on)

I currently own these filters

350 Eheim external canister filter
2 2012 Eheim Pick up internal filters
1 u2 fluvel internal filter.

My question is will this be enough filteration to start with until I can afford to upgrade to a bigger external filter

Also what size filter do I need would you recommend for the size tank I have. I think it is 465litres 119 us gallons.

I don't intend to get anymore fancy goldfish (unless my latest addition the golden fantail turns out to be a boy, then I may have too, my calico is female my 2 black moors are male) and just up my schooling fish to make them abit happier

Cheers Emma

Ps my goldies are currently in a 42 gallon slightly overstocked hence the upgrade but the new addition has only been in there 3 weeks.

The temperate fish are in there own 27gallon at the mo. But have lived with my goldies before so should be fine when I first got my first two goldies I had them all in the 42 gallon.

I'd say ever 2 filters at 930 lph or 1 filter at 1860 lph. If you cant get the two filter, one at 930 will do to start you off I believe.

Hmm.. Well you could just run 2-3 sponge filters. They would aerate, have great biological media, and do a decent job with mech. Plus they are cheap lol Hydor-5 would be the go to.

If you really want the canister and internal combo you could get an Eheim 2217 and a sponge filter or hob.

I'd say ever 2 filters at 930 lph or 1 filter at 1860 lph. If you cant get the two filter, one at 930 will do to start you off I believe.

Filtration isn't that dependent on gph though; a lot more attention should be paid to volume of the filter media because you want to offer enough room for bacteria to grow. You don't necessarily need a set gph.

Not trying to call you out, just offering my opinion on the subject.

I have listed the filters I already have if I use all of them just to start me off will I be ok till I can afford a bigger external canister. I was thinking I could get another 350 eheim external canister together two of these as I already have one would give an out put of 1240lphr. Then just have a small sponge filter like my fluvel u2 internal filter to add aeration

I will only have the filters I already own when I first get this tank. My question is will this be sufficient for the time being till I can afford to go upgrade to a bigger filter. All the filter are in action at the mo on my current tanks soo all will hold good bacteria.

Filtration isn't that dependent on gph though; a lot more attention should be paid to volume of the filter media because you want to offer enough room for bacteria to grow. You don't necessarily need a set gph.

Not trying to call you out, just offering my opinion on the subject.

No your right. But I always thought and try to get water flow first about 4x is best, I think. Then I get more media or better as I go along. The good media tend not to be cheap :)

No your right. But I always thought and try to get water flow first about 4x is best, I think. Then I get more media or better as I go along. The good media tend not to be cheap :)

You are right too. And I also aim for around 4x more or less (depending on inhabitants)

As for your question, I plugged it into AQAdvisor with
1 Fluval U2
2 Eheim Pickup 2012
Couldnt find the Eheim 350.. so I didn't put it in.

With the stocking of
2 Fantails
2 Blackmoors
6 Danios
6 White Clouds
3 Platies (1 male 2 female)

You get away with 98% filtration. Keep in mind this doesn't account for the Eheim 350, so you should be good! Oh and you should aim for about a 25% water change and you are at 80% stocking so if you need to add another goldfish or want a larger school of WC or danios, you should be good.

Hi

The 350 Eheim canister filter does 620lphr. I would agree that size volume of media is important. My small internal fitler PF2(This is correct name of the Interpret not fluvel filter) does 500 lphr but has small media where as the canister filter only does a little more lphr but has a large body of media so will store more good bacteria. I will use all the filters I have to begin with and as I would like as much swimming space as possible for the fish I would like eventually to only have one small internal fitler and two external perhaps anther 350 Eheim or just one with a larger lphr.

icydeath I currently only have two platys wasn't planning on getting anymore you wrote 3. I think I have two girls currently no babies had them a year. But thanks for giving me a good idea of my stocking. Id rather keep it too what ive got except upping the schools abit for the danios and minnows.

Just read my filter boxes

2012 EHEIM PICK UPS DO 220-570 LPHR

so I have two if I put at max that's 1140 Lphr

The PF2 INTERPRET FILTER DOES 500 LPHR
EHEIM 350 EXTERNAL CANISTER DOES 620 LPHR

THATS 2260 LPHR Altogether

I should be fine to start with , that makes me feel better

Hi

The 350 Eheim canister filter does 620lphr. I would agree that size volume of media is important. My small internal fitler PF2(This is correct name of the Interpret not fluvel filter) does 500 lphr but has small media where as the canister filter only does a little more lphr but has a large body of media so will store more good bacteria. I will use all the filters I have to begin with and as I would like as much swimming space as possible for the fish I would like eventually to only have one small internal fitler and two external perhaps anther 350 Eheim or just one with a larger lphr.

icydeath I currently only have two platys wasn't planning on getting anymore you wrote 3. I think I have two girls currently no babies had them a year. But thanks for giving me a good idea of my stocking. Id rather keep it too what ive got except upping the schools abit for the danios and minnows.

Haha sorry, just making sure you had two girls.

Glad I could help though.

Out to of curiosity if I didn't have the little schooling fish and platys. How many fancy goldfish could I have in the 119 gallon ? And how many with the schooling fish could I have potentially?

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With them you could have 6 total goldfish. Without the danios and minnows, 7.

I used AQAdvisor and this seems about right to me. Oh btw if you don't put in the platies, you still are at seven due to bioload differences.

My goldfish and platys get on very well I think I might fade out the schooling fish and eventually have just Goldie's and platys how many of each do you recoken I could have

Hi again!

You could do:
3 fantails
3 black moors
6 platies

or

3 fantails
2 black moors
17 platies

So figure about 6 goldfish and 6 platies plus 10 platies for every goldfish you take away. Keep in mind this is pretty much max stock. It is always nice to understock.

1 platy male plus two females will become 80+ fish inside of 12 months.
Some will get eaten so expect something like 50 additional fish per 12 month period.
The more hiding spaces there are for fry, the greater yield of fish you will have.

They are the rabbits of the aqua-verse.

I'm sure the female can store milt and have several spawning without the presence of a male.

I've decided I'm going to keep only 4 fancy goldfish for now. Let my current 2 female platys , 2danios and 4 minniow live out their life span. Then eventually only keep Goldies.

Is it cruel not to up my schooling fish schools. I have hiding places for them. They are now all in the new 119gallon tank. Its massive

Back
Top Bottom