What's wrong with my Fancy Goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might not like hearing this, but often those aren't terribly accurate. A liquid test kit, like API, will give you better results.

Haha nah I like hearing that. Now I know I'm not the one who's c*cked up, the strips have. The stips are made by API, but I'll see if I can get some liquid tests soon. So do you think the results I got are a load of b*llocks? Sorry, I swear a lot XD

Sometimes they're ok, sometimes not so much. That's why I stick with the liquid tests. If you get one, carefully follow the directions, especially the one for nitrAte. People often screw that one up, think they have low or even no nitrAte, and then find out otherwise.

No offense taken on the language - I can be a little salty myself at times. ;)

Getting some liquid tests tomorrow. Sounds like the results I got are a load of shite then. Still gonna treat Squeak with the melafix & stresszyme. Is it okay to use both of them at the same time?

Alright cheers. I've got nowhere to rehome them to so it's not really an option. They're my babies & if I gave them to my local aquatics store they'll separate them & I don't want that for them. Squeak completely relies on Bubble (my other fancy) for everything. They'll just have to hang on for another year while I save up for a bigger tank. They've spent their whole lives in the tank they're in, they can hold on for one more year. What size tank do I need for all four of them?

They're going to need at least 20 gallons apiece, so 4x that would be about 300 liters. The comet really should be in a pond, though. They aren't indoor fish. Until you get a bigger tank (and even after you do) change at least 75% of the water every week. Get the biggest filter you possibly can - you will need it. Read everything you can find about the nitrogen cycle - VERY important.

If I had a pond I'd put him in it, but the best I can do is a bucket, considering as I have no room for a pond. After talking to my dad, I don't think my fairground goldfish is a comet & he should only double in size (become about 15cm long) so that helps a lot. My plec is 20cm long & fully grown, so are my fancies. Knowing that I don't have a comet, would I get away with a 200-250 litre tank considering as the fairground goldfish won't get as big as I expected?

My biggest fancy is over 9", so ~ 23 cm. The biggest reason not to keep the pleco is that they are known to attack goldfish. Everybody thinks their pleco won't do that until it does, often at night. I have one beautiful fish now that I rescued from that situation. With goldfish, the more room you can give them, the better.

My plec just sits, he's never attacked my other fish. I guess there are exceptions to every rule. Hopefully I can get a big tank cheap of eBay or something

StressZyme I believe I could see a difference as I have a see through canister and could see a decrease in muck. Then I just increased water changes.

In theory the tank should have the bacteria already so a little odd but all I can say is I noticed this several times.

We used to do that with a septic tank and pour some product into it once a year. Harder to see into a septic tank though :)

The only other thought or mild concern I have is that it says you are introducing a lot of good bacteria (not bad), but just watch the tank in case.

Sorry might have mucked up. Was it Stress Zyme or Stress Coat. Should be fine either way.

I have used melafix and stress coat together with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom