Which other fishes are compatible with goldfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, perhaps the person who explained to me why my pleco both disappeared without a trace was wrong then

They told me that the goldfish ate them because my tank was not big enough. And that if goldfish have to compete for resources they will eat tank mates

Both snails I tried were also eaten, as were my pet shrimp

I was never able to keep anything more than the two goldfish until I put them into a pond

This was back when I was new, and I did not know about the space requirements of the goldfish

Plecos hide, they also jump.. if a goldfish aye one it would likely choke in the many spines they carry to avoid.. being eaten;) they hide kind enough so far they'll vanish without a trace. I've lost one that was just gone, no trace.. if you have snails than the clean up will be on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, I know

My current pleco was fond of hiding in the motor of my aqueon quiet flow 30....I had to take it apart 4times before I finally had enough and swapped with my other tank for an aqua clear 50

I ran the intake all the way into the bottom of the tank and now his favourite place is the underside if the prefilter sponge.....maybe he just likes the vibration lol

As regards to my comment, I honestly thought that the advice was sound. It came from my lfs, and was based on experience

But your saying this like it's nothing?? My 2 plecos got eaten, my snails , my shrimps. Maybe you should have your goldfish in its own tank. If you have two of them try purchasing atleast a 30 gallon (40 would be better) and keeping them on their own.

And this way they don't have to eat any more tank mates "if cramped for space".

Even tho regardless I highly dought your goldfish of 7 inches will eat your balla shark of 13 inch double the size.

Actually, after learning of their needs, I moved them to a pond

The only reason that I have goldfish at the moment is that the pond pump went down, and I am looking after them until it is fixed and the pond reopened in spring

Now I keep small fish, and I know much more

Just because I am not articulate in expressing my emotions, doesn't mean that it didn't bother me. If it didn't bother me, I wouldn't have felt that I should warn another goldfish owner of the possibility

But perhaps it's time to let this thread go back to helping the original poster, rather than berating me for a poor choice in words when making a well intended comment?

If I were looking for advice I would start my own thread....

Yeah, most iridescent sharks get at least 2 foot, I would honestly look into getting a repurposed swimming pool. Or anything that is at least 3 foot or so in diameter so the fish has enough space to swim around the whole tank

Actually, after learning of their needs, I moved them to a pond

The only reason that I have goldfish at the moment is that the pond pump went down, and I am looking after them until it is fixed and the pond reopened in spring

Now I keep small fish, and I know much more

Just because I am not articulate in expressing my emotions, doesn't mean that it didn't bother me. If it didn't bother me, I wouldn't have felt that I should warn another goldfish owner of the possibility

But perhaps it's time to let this thread go back to helping the original poster, rather than berating me for a poor choice in words when making a well intended comment?

If I were looking for advice I would start my own thread....

I'm gonna be completely honest with you for some reason I thought u had posted the threat. And you were asking people for help, and when people were trying to give advice you said if anything they'll eat each other.
So my bad didn't realize. Haha

1. I thought goldfish were herbivores!
2. Shahabazz, you have another thread about a 60 gallon. I'm very curious about your stock there. Maybe you can reorganize in a way that will allow temperature compatible fish to be together? I know that doesn't solve Anything about the sharks or pleco, but it would be a start.

Goldfish are omnivores. If it looks remotely edible, they'll gladly give it a shot [emoji6]

So far, the only thing that I have found them not to devour is hornwort.....but then, if you have ever smelled that stuff out of water, it's probably very bitter

I recommend hornwort in any goldfish tank, as it's a natural tool for the control of low levels of ammonia, and loves cold water tanks :)

1. I thought goldfish were herbivores!
2. Shahabazz, you have another thread about a 60 gallon. I'm very curious about your stock there. Maybe you can reorganize in a way that will allow temperature compatible fish to be together? I know that doesn't solve Anything about the sharks or pleco, but it would be a start.
I have 2 separate tanks

Back
Top Bottom