White Cloud Minnows What tank Tropical or Coldwater what is best for them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi

Anyone know what temperature climate is best for Cloud Minnows I thought they were temperate fish so could go in either, They are housed at mo in my 40gallon tank whilst I set up a Tropical tank to put my platys and danios in. My Minnows are in with baby fancy goldfish 1 black moor and one oranda. But Ideally I want my 40gallon for just the two fancies and a hillstream loach I have got(which btw I stupidly didn't do enough research on before buying) longterm . I have been told conflicting advice about Minnows some say they are best in Coldwater tanks. I have my 40gallon at a high 570phr water flow as my Loach likes movement in water. Goldies can cope this as its not extreme like a powerhead. I have an air diffusion so nice breakage on water surface for aeration and will be getting an extra bubble pump machine when temperate fish are moved to Tropical and out of the tank. Please any experts on Cloud Minnows feel free to give as much advice as you feel will help me make the right choice for them homewise . My tropical is smaller than my 40gallon at 3ftx1ftx1ft and would stock in completion 4danios, 2platys and potentially 3cloud white minnows(may get a few more minnow if room to help school them once tropical is cycled) I intend to place Tropical filter in to my coldwater tank along side current filter to help build up the bacteria on the sponge before I move it into Tropical tank then I would let it run for a day or two and slowly move over 1-2 temperate fish at a time.

Any advice on any area I have touched on here will be happily accepted

Emma

Ok cool so I could have them in a heated tank but keep it temperatures at the lower end, I really want my platys to be a little more comfortable. Do you know if my tank 3ftx1ftx1ft tank would be fully stocked with 4danios, 2platys and 3 White Cloud Minnows in it, or after cycling period would I be able to add one or two more of Danios and Minnows species to up their school a bit?

size wise and stock wise I am not so well informed with temperate and tropical fish.
I know coldwater wise goldies need lots of space so I know im good to keep just 1 black moor and oranda with 1 or 2 hillstream in my 40 gallon.

so any idea how many gallons my 3tx1ftx1ft is? and how many fish I can keep, I would rather slightly understock than overstock but also want to keep my schooling fish happy so if I can add a few more as minnows are small then I will

my cold water tank is 3ft3inches long by 1ft and a half wide and 1ft and a half tall and I was told on here that its is around 40gallons

P.S I am quite new to fish keeping and the set up would be my first heated tank ever. Tropical tank is at more recently been resealed as I got it second hand, been resealed over a week now and I am currently testing it for leaks before I purchase anything else ie filter, heater new gravel

Are you a busy person or will you be mainly at your fish tank? if youre busy coldwater would be better because they wont be as active and their metabolism will be lowered so less feedings, these guys are quite hardy i heard they can go to freezing but how big are your goldfish? the minnows might get eaten
Tropical would be best if you are around often metabolism would be high more cleaning up, more feeding but theyre more active it somewhat depends on your lifestyle.
Note: watch the fish carefully during feeding especially the oranda since orandas are quite slow and have poor vision the minnows might take all the food and they might explode lol

Are you a busy person or will you be mainly at your fish tank? if youre busy coldwater would be better because they wont be as active and their metabolism will be lowered so less feedings, these guys are quite hardy i heard they can go to freezing but how big are your goldfish? the minnows might get eaten
Tropical would be best if you are around often metabolism would be high more cleaning up, more feeding but theyre more active it somewhat depends on your lifestyle.
Note: watch the fish carefully during feeding especially the oranda since orandas are quite slow and have poor vision the minnows might take all the food and they might explode lol

Hi

I think between 67 and 72 I will beable to go to the lower end but will be bit warmer for my Platys that a coldwater tank so I will find a happy medium as I read Danios like the cooler end of the Tropical tank temperature wise so il go no warmer than say 69. Believe me I wouldn't be surprised one day if walked into my kitchen and found my Black Moor and Oranda in my Kitchen cupboard eating out of the cookie jar. They are soooo greedy and theres no way my minnows out eat them lol. I always finely sprickle flake on surface for minnows and Danios and push some bigger flakes through the surface so theres a nice pinch on the bottom for the fancies as they prefer to bottom feed. I try to give them a varied diet, goldies like flakes, peas and bloodworms not so keen on shrime as other fish are and don't like romaine lettuce and cucumber doesn't greatly appeal either. My goldies also prefer fresh peas they were not impress with cheap tin ones I gave them last time although did eat abit but tin peas are a little messier so id avoid next time. My cloud are gona be fine I think in a low heated tank. I work mainly evenings so can watch them and see how they get on.

:) good thing you learned fancies easily get swim bladder I have a fantastic actually and in a separate tank a 10 year old comet female its good to know your goodies are cookie monsters:D my fantail doesn't do much good setup tho I was annoyed at my danios for finding nipping so their with my turtlez hope you have fun with your monsters(y)

My Danios are still babies they don't really bother my fantails but their moving out in a few weeks anyway so wont ever be a problem anyway. I was told Black Moors like brine shrimp my Dave didn't seem that fussed about it , he loves peas those. :)

thats AWESOME how they eat peas i dont think mine can tell the difference between his gravel and peas :p but they are REALLY good to have on hand if one of your goldies get swim bladder disease just feed them some peas it really helps them heal from it after you fast them

A new White Cloud Minnow owner here.

We have a 20g tall tank that started with 5 white clouds and they are doing very well! 2 females with at least 40 babies of various ages since mid Jan.

There's nothing special going on with the tank. We feed them flake food and dried blood worms (2 or 3 times weekly). They really like the bloodworms and it seems to bring out their color. When we started those, they get saturated with red and pinker lips. That is when they started having young... so, we have recently reduced to about 1-2x weekly.

We try to keep it at 70F. Although it has been as low as 67F (very cold winter here) because we tried without a heater and used incandescent light for heat (grew too much algae doing that though).

Our water is hard well water with high ph (over 8.5 easily) and I mix it with spring water (about 50/50) to help cut the hardness and ph.

We have live plants, rocks, shells, and driftwood.
Tank mates are 2 mystery snails and a cherry shrimp. They are also doing really well.

I have 7 wcmm and 4 hillstream loaches that all live together happily in 18 degree c. The wcmm like the extra power and airstones and constantly playing in the bubbles. Loaches very happy and content with just the wcmm. They very active and out most of day

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A new White Cloud Minnow owner here.

We have a 20g tall tank that started with 5 white clouds and they are doing very well! 2 females with at least 40 babies of various ages since mid Jan.

There's nothing special going on with the tank. We feed them flake food and dried blood worms (2 or 3 times weekly). They really like the bloodworms and it seems to bring out their color. When we started those, they get saturated with red and pinker lips. That is when they started having young... so, we have recently reduced to about 1-2x weekly.

We try to keep it at 70F. Although it has been as low as 67F (very cold winter here) because we tried without a heater and used incandescent light for heat (grew too much algae doing that though).

Our water is hard well water with high ph (over 8.5 easily) and I mix it with spring water (about 50/50) to help cut the hardness and ph.

We have live plants, rocks, shells, and driftwood.
Tank mates are 2 mystery snails and a cherry shrimp. They are also doing really well.

I have 3 cloud minnows, 4 danios and 2platys they have all now been transfers in to 22gallon tank I have yet to buy a heater for them but I will raise the temperature up slowly when I do. Thanks so I can have it up to about 70F that's great. I also intend to get the danio and minnow schools up to 5 each, I was told I had room to get there schools up to 6-7 each but I think il slightly understock the tank so they have loads of room to swim and will leave it at 5 each with 2 platys as centrepiece fish

I have 7 wcmm and 4 hillstream loaches that all live together happily in 18 degree c. The wcmm like the extra power and airstones and constantly playing in the bubbles. Loaches very happy and content with just the wcmm. They very active and out most of day

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi I have a Hillstream Loach in with two fancy goldfish in a 40gallon. I know its not ideal but I have nowhere else to put him. I didn't do my research before I got him. What do you feed your hillstream Loach and when do you feed him. My Hillstream Loach seems more active during the day but I have yet to see him physically eat any of his algae wafter or pellet,cucumber. He does seem to eat the natural algae that grows in the tank though.

Thanks so I can have it up to about 70F
Since we got a heater, the temp has been closer to 72 F and they seem ok. I've just lowered the thermostat a bit more because I read that they like 68 to 70 better so we try to maintain that temp. Although, when it was 70 and colder, I think they were more reproductive.

Back
Top Bottom