White spots on fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok ive had my 75 gallon for around a month now. I have 5fancy goldfish in there and they all have tiny white spots on them. What is it? How can I get rid of it and can I do a 100% water change to get rid of it?
Thanks

Brian

Sounds like the dreaded ich. I have always treated ich with high water temp, usually around 87deg. And add some aquarium salt. Ich can only be killed in its free swimming stage, and when it's not attached to the fish. So treatment usually takes a couple weeks,and should continue for a few days if not a week after white spots disappear. Do at least 25% water changes every other day at least. A 100 percent chance will not kill as there are some attached to the fish already, and they are so small.

Agreed. The best way to treat ich is by slowly raising the temperature by 1 degree every hour or so in the tank until it hits 86 degrees. After the last spot disappears keep the temperature that high for another 2 weeks and then reverse the process lowering the temperature by 1 degree every hour until it's back to normal.

One thing tho, goldfish can get stressed at temps that warm so you might want to increase aeration in the tank and monitor them closely. Especially watch that they don't stay at the surface sucking in air.

Do not use heat to treat goldfish!!

To treat goldfish with ich you need to use aquarium salt not heat. Heat can be detrimental to their health if kept too high and for a prolonged period (like when treating ich).

This treatment is only for goldfish, not tropicals.

You will need a 0.3% concentration of salt in the tank. That's 3 grams per 1 litre of tank water. Dissolve the salt in a container of tank water and add 1/4 of the solution every 6 hours until the full amount is added. When you do a water change you will have to replace what salt has been removed. Eg: 50% water change needs 50% of the salt replaced. Salt doesn't evaporate so don't add any if you are just topping the tank up.

Extra water changes will be needed to help avoid infection and to remove ich from the water and substrate. Leave the salt in the tank for at least a week after the last spot is seen.

Ich can be safely treated in goldfish with aq salt at a .3% salinity. This is 11.4 grams salt per gallon. The salt dose needs to be predissolved in conditioned then the solution needs to be added gradually over 48hrs. Maintain the salinity along with frequent wcs/good gravel vacs for one week AFTER the last spot is gone.

For wcs, add back only the salt you remove. So, for a 50% wc, add back 1/2 the original dose predissolved along with the new water. Please ask if you have questions!

Can you please post pics of what you are seeing on your fish along with your exact parameters? When was the last time you added a new fish? Was it qt'd for a couple of weeks before adding? This will help us to ID what is going on here and figuring out the best treatment.

Back
Top Bottom