why does my uneaten food grow fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You mean uneaten food on the tank bottom? Don't your loaches eat it all? Maybe you're just feeding too much at a time.

this food was presenting to my gourami in QT about two to three days and it seems that he is not eaten it. so I am seeing it grow major fungus on it. I will do a vac tomorrow.

fungus grows on anything that rots... lol. Leave a sandwich in your refrigerator for a few weeks and see how much mold is on it then.

I found some spaghetti in my fridge that was 3 weeks old and it had a huge ball of fuzzy mold growing on it the size of a baseball! It was awesome... um... i mean gross.

This is a valid question - you may be seeing more fungus in QT because you don't have any bottom feeders in there to eat the food quickly. What kind of filtration do you have on the QT?

The QT tank for my bettas is a 2.5 gallon mini-bow with the Whisper internal filter. I have the filter on the lowest setting for the bettas. I usually get a white, cottony-cloudy looking substance on the bottom of the tank. This substance forms around the fish waste and any uneaten food. I use a turkey baster to remove this cottony stuff every day that the fish is in QT.

IME this is not unusual in a QT tank, since in QT we often don't have the same filtration or tankmates as the main tank. Use your vac or a turkey baster to remove the fungus whenever you see it.

Back
Top Bottom