Why fancy goldfish require big tanks- visual perspective

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Around 7 to 11 inches. I feel a 50 gal would be nice wit adequate filtration. Not being an expert in goldfish matter though, thats just through general knowledge and experience. 30 might be enough according to most websites.

Thank you Fishfanatic! :thanks:

Finally, some tangible numbers I can work with. Knowing that these fish can grow to that length (under ideal conditions), looks like we're headed to a minimum 75 gallon capacity tank. Maybe even a 100 gallon :facepalm: assuming that in the near future I can swing the logistics of that aquarium (room to put it, money to outfit & run it).

Thank you Fishfanatic! :thanks:

Finally, some tangible numbers I can work with. Knowing that these fish can grow to that length (under ideal conditions), looks like we're headed to a minimum 75 gallon capacity tank. Maybe even a 100 gallon :face palm: assuming that in the near future I can swing the logistics of that aquarium (room to put it, money to outfit & run it).

If you get something that big i feel you might be able to add some more diversity of fantail goldfish if you are interested ^-^

If you get something that big i feel you might be able to add some more diversity of fantail goldfish if you are interested ^-^

We'd LOVE to add more fish to the community. I'm so new/green at this — I'm embarrassed :oops: to admit I've only seen the PetSmart "compatibility" matrix — and it seems nothing is compatible with Goldies, but other Goldies.

The other issue is size of the new fish. At 5+ inches, I would think anything a goldfish could fit in its mouth is a meal. So, we'd be looking at new fish of at least 2 inches in length — assuming there are species which could peacefully coexist with my two Veil Tails.

Any suggestions?

We'd LOVE to add more fish to the community. I'm so new/green at this — I'm embarrassed :oops: to admit I've only seen the PetSmart "compatibility" matrix — and it seems nothing is compatible with Goldies, but other Goldies.

The other issue is size of the new fish. At 5+ inches, I would think anything a goldfish could fit in its mouth is a meal. So, we'd be looking at new fish of at least 2 inches in length — assuming there are species which could peacefully coexist with my two Veil Tails.

Any suggestions?
Mostly the reason they say nothing is compatible with goldies apart from their own is their living temperature being cold. I know rosy barbs and zebra danios do ok with goldies, look into it :)

Mostly the reason they say nothing is compatible with goldies apart from their own is their living temperature being cold. I know rosy barbs and zebra danios do ok with goldies, look into it :)

It's funny, but I never thought to consider the temperature zone as a factor of compatibility. :face palm:

Our aquarium's average temp. is 78-80° F; because that's the average room temp. where they're kept. That may seem high for goldies, but I simply do not know how to lower that temp. (We live in Las Vegas, so it's a challenge to get the kitchen down lower than 78° without assuming an electric bill equivalent to a small national debt.)

OK then, Rosy Barbs and Zebra Danios it may be! Thanks again!

It's funny, but I never thought to consider the temperature zone as a factor of compatibility. :face palm:

Our aquarium's average temp. is 78-80° F; because that's the average room temp. where they're kept. That may seem high for goldies, but I simply do not know how to lower that temp. (We live in Las Vegas, so it's a challenge to get the kitchen down lower than 78° without assuming an electric bill equivalent to a small national debt.)

OK then, Rosy Barbs and Zebra Danios it may be! Thanks again!

Make sure to research prior though ^-^ I know danios work though but dont take my word yet c:

Any suggestions?

If you want something really awesome that works well with goldfish, see if you can't find some weather loaches! You'd need to get at least 5, and they get to 8 inches so you'd need a large tank, but they live very comfortably in goldfish water temperatures. Theyre also full of personality and they respond by going nuts when the barometric pressure changes, so when it storms they go crazy!

Easily in my top 10 favorite aquarium fish ever, I highly recommend them!

If you want something really awesome that works well with goldfish, see if you can't find some weather loaches! You'd need to get at least 5, and they get to 8 inches so you'd need a large tank, but they live very comfortably in goldfish water temperatures. Theyre also full of personality and they respond by going nuts when the barometric pressure changes, so when it storms they go crazy!

Easily in my top 10 favorite aquarium fish ever, I highly recommend them!

8 inches?? :eek: Yikes. Well, I suppose, ultimately, it will come down to how large of an aquarium I can afford, as to which species — and how many of them — of which I can stock it.

Fish responding to barometric pressure? Sounds quite exciting and exotic.

8 inches?? :eek: Yikes. Well, I suppose, ultimately, it will come down to how large of an aquarium I can afford, as to which species — and how many of them — of which I can stock it.

Fish responding to barometric pressure? Sounds quite exciting and exotic.

Well, if you end up with a 75 or 100 gallon aquarium, 5 weather loaches shouldn't be an issue. They're very elongated so their bioload isn't nearly as high as, say, an 8 inch goldfish. And they are very peaceful towards all other fish!

It's very fascinating! Being bottom dwellers with no real need for bouyancy control, natural selection instead ended up selecting for weather loaches that could detect changes in barometric pressure by the change in pressure in their swim bladder (or so I've been told). It's a very distinct evolutionary advantage to know the weather before everyone else does!

Hi im upgrading my goldie tank to 119gallons which will house temperate fish 2 black moors 1 golden fantail 1 calico fantail, 2variatus platys, 3danios, 4cloud minnows. This is classed as subtropical tank as long as the temperature doesn't drop too low the platys can do very well with goldies. The minnows I would keep an eye on as the goldies get bigger, they have all lived together in the past and I had no problems they are currently in separate tanks but when I upgrade my goldie 42 gallon to 119 I will let them live together again. My little guys are currently in there own 27gallon. I will also up the schools for the danios and minnows in the 119gallon tank.

I always find it better to understock a tank. I wont buy any more goldies in the 119gallon 4 will be enough I want them to have loads of swimming space. The only time I would consider getting another fancy goldfish is if my golden fantail turns out to be a boy, im praying it is a girl. As I have two male black moors and my calico female fantail gets a lot of attention ;)

Hi Emma,

After all of these discussions, I'm setting my eyes on a 100 gallon, and considering other species to co-habitate with my Veil Tails. Of course, for now, it's a massive wish list until I can land some steady FT work. Until then, this 30 gal gets my full attention. WC central!

Just began the process of removing the white chip granite gravel to gradually be replaced by a beautiful black sand. Following this, in go a LOT of live plants and some real wood.

Got my 6 Goldie's in a 465litre tank now. They took a selfie for you to see. Lol

Sent from my Harrier Mini from EE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1433668315433.jpg
    1433668315433.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 381
It's fab! they have soo much swimming space , it measures 4ft by 2ft by 2ft custom made tank. Cost £350

My happy goldies

Attachments

• 1433761768213.jpg
    1433761768213.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 395

Any suggestions?
Anything bigger that's not too aggressive can live with goldfish like pleco or a featherfin squeaker

Anything bigger that's not too aggressive can live with goldfish like pleco or a featherfin squeaker

You're kidding right? Depending on the pleco some hit 12+" and can be downright aggressive plus they create so much waste. And Syndodontis eupterus get big and aggressive as well.

What about a bristle nose pleco? They average out at 5inch
If you start now, while the goldfish are little, it should be ok while it grows out

The issue of compatibility with goldfish comes down to this: "if it fits in my mouth, I will eat it"

They have a large bioload, and any fish big enough to avoid being eaten is good to also have a large bioload.

They are also fin pullers. Mine are always grabbing each other's fins as they swim by

By the way, certain cories can live with Betta and they are so peaceful that if bothered they just scoot. They know who's boss. I personally have a bristle nose pleco with my Betta, in my 29gallon

Wow, it is hard to imagine the little guy getting that big. And in most peoples tanks it wouldn't :(

Please share how old the big Goldie is and what living conditions/tank/pond it was raised in, and now lives. That is a really beautiful fish.

Thank you and it would be great if you could do the same thing with the "feeder" goldfish too.

My daughter "rescued" a couple feeders and of course they were tiny 1.5-2 inches long and now maybe 8-10", in the pond, after 2 years.

It's my understanding that most goldfish grow at the same rate no matter what surroundings they are in. Great illustration not only for goldfish but any larger fish which are almost always sold as juveniles in LFS's. Probably most reptiles too for that matter. Great to see anything that helps educate buyers on giving living things the environment they need to be happy as pets.

Back
Top Bottom