Wife said yes, so I am startim a pond in the next few months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my wife told me I could put a little pond by our front walkway and porch~!

I figure it could be a 8'x8' pond maybe. I wasn't even thinking about measuring it but that's what I am thinking right now as I sit at work. It can be as deep as I need it to be, I'll just dig deeper.

I have a pretty good bit of experience with freshwater aquariums, but more so with saltwater. I understand how plumbing and all that stuff works with an aquarium, but i am not sure if it is the same for a pond.

Basically, I don't know anything except my wife said yes, I have space, I have a little extra time this summer, and a pond is going in my front yard.

So does anyone know a good place to start getting information or what sort of things I need to look into first?

What about getting fish do I need to know? I would like koi but do not know if 8'x8' would be enough space. I live in GA right above atlanta so my climate goes from 90 in the summer to 30 in the winter, does that matter?

Thanks in advance for any advice~!

Well I could help you out...
I have experiance with FW, Ponds, and now a little in SW.

I PMed you my email address...

Is it legal to have a pond in your front yard? I can see a lot of liability issues coupled with some potential vandalism.

I am not sure.

You might want to check with your city.

You might have to have it fenced in because some kid might fall in...

Check with your city.

vandalism - I highly doubt it, I live in the truman show. Me and a couple of my friends roll mats out on my driveway and do submission grappling in my front yard. We also kickbox out there to so I don't think I am to worried about any punk kids messing with it. Other people have them in my neighborhood too and no one bothers them.

Kids drowning in it - It's 2 feet of water. parents should watch there kids better. There is also a guy up the street a little bit who has one in his front yard so i don't think that it is that big of an issue.

Everyone that lives in my part of the neighborhood gets along really well so I am not worried about anyone getting upset that I put a little pond out there. I live at the bottom of the street in the culdasack anyways so all the parents bring there kids down there and play together in the street. I'll just talk to everyone on the street who has kids and let them know I am going to put it in before I do and tell them to KEEP THERE KIDS OUT OF MY YARD.. jk :D .

either that or I could just put this sign up in my yard...
noswim.gif

I vote for the sign, lol.

Print that off and leave it up for a week or something, see who notices....

The problem is that a two year old can't read a sign, and can easily drown in the water. Around here if you have a pool you need to have something like a 4-6' fence surrounding it.

Barring all legal aspects, for any other questions just ask. It might even be a good idea to start a new thread. You can also just browse this forum (there arn't that many posts and you should be able to read the whole thing in no time) and be sure to check out the getting started sticky.

zacdl said:
You might want to check with your city.

This get's a little into my neck of the woods, so to speak. While I can't vouch for your city, here where I live, if you will be digging more than 18 inches into the ground, you may need a permit. You will have to check to make sure there are no utility lines where you plan to dig. Also, local ordinances may require some type of barrier/warning, as mentioned above.

Also, you may want to check with your insurance carrier to see if you need to purchase an insurance rider to cover any potential claims.

While I agree that parents should supervise their children, unfortunately some don't. Then they look for a deep pocket to sue to make up for it.

I look at things from a worst-case scenario standpoint, that way I can prepare my clients for the worst.

All that aside, ponds are a great addition and open up new avenues to indulge our fish addictions.

ACtually in Enid you dont need a permit to dig a hole....

Since my pond is in a courtyard with a gate that is 6' high and brick walls 4' high all around, I dont think its that big of deal :)

No kids around either (A block away but none around here)

If you're digging about 2 feet deep, then you're looking at about a 1000 gallon pond (using LxWxH in feet multiplyed by 7.7). This can house a couple to a few koi. I personally like Subunkins and Comets. If you're in an area with a mild/warm winter, then facy golds are perfect. I have 2 Red Cap Oranda's in a whiskey barrel pond during winter that drops to 20F easily.

I'll agree that you may want some sort of barrier around it. If not for kids, then for predators. Your fish will appear to be a yummy meal to many predators like raccoons, birds, cats, etc. If you don't go with a man-made barrier for predators, then you'll want something closer to 3' deep (which is what I would recommend for Koi anyway).

You have a ton of options here. Keep us posted on the progress and we can give ideas as we go.

Back
Top Bottom