Wild mussel/clam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pseudomugil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi. I live in Ontario, and pretty near me there is a beautiful turquoise pond hidden away in a forest where there are big (like 3-4 inch long) gold mussels or clams or something. Could I put one in my tropical tank?

Hi. I live in Ontario, and pretty near me there is a beautiful turquoise pond hidden away in a forest where there are big (like 3-4 inch long) gold mussels or clams or something. Could I put one in my tropical tank?

Because of the area, I can only presume that these clams need cooler water so if you have a warmer tank, it is probably not a good idea.
Second: Mollusks ( ie Clams, Mussels, Snails) are known carriers of many parasites and worms so I would not be putting wild caught mollusks in my tank without going through an extended quarantine period whereby any free swimming stage of the "bugs" would not be surviving due to lack of a host.

That's just my opinion, based on the facts. :whistle:

So as long as I quarantine it I should be fine (other than the cold/warm water)?

I've been finding huge clams lately in the lake as well and was thinking of adding some to my tank. I'll be following along, just to see how it works. Remember, the need a pretty deep substrate to burrow in.

I likely won't be going any time soon but when I do I'll be sure to update.

Back
Top Bottom