5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say thai micro crabs, but since I spent a fortune on mine and they all died off quickly, I can't recommend them. Most other crabs in the hobby are only semi aquatic and I don't think a 5 gal is big enough to give them the proper land and water areas. I've been hearing panther crabs are truly aquatic but I think they are a bit large for a 5 gal, but I'm not positive.

Dwarf crays would be great though. You could do one pair of dwarf patz or two of cambarellus shufeldtii.
Thanks. I will look into the crays.:)
I was thinking about doing a 2 floor set-up for a crab with a piece of plexi-glass or something attached to the tank and a rock latter up to it to give enough land and water. I just saw a similar set-up for a mudskipper by somebody in here, but I do not if even that would be enough space for a crab. Good to know about the Thai micro crab. Thanks. Ill look into the crays, and otherwise probably do ADFs.

I looked into getting some of these for awhile. In my area, they would be around twenty bucks and don't have the greatest survival rate at first. They are also super tiny when shops get them in. I would definitely ask around on those. Hopefully Washington has them cheaper!

Thanks. I will look into the crays.:)
I was thinking about doing a 2 floor set-up for a crab with a piece of plexi-glass or something attached to the tank and a rock latter up to it to give enough land and water. I just saw a similar set-up for a mudskipper by somebody in here, but I do not if even that would be enough space for a crab. Good to know about the Thai micro crab. Thanks. Ill look into the crays, and otherwise probably do ADFs.

I have seen a 2 level set up in a 5 gal for fiddler crabs..maybe it's possible to make that work. If you do that, I would only stock 1 male, for sure. I have my 4 fiddlers in a 14 gal (same footprint as a 10) with a lowered water level and land access up above, and that works well with 1 male and 3 females.

I keep and breed both types of dwarf cray and ADF's so I highly recommend either! :)

I have seen a 2 level set up in a 5 gal for fiddler crabs..maybe it's possible to make that work. If you do that, I would only stock 1 male, for sure. I have my 4 fiddlers in a 14 gal (same footprint as a 10) with a lowered water level and land access up above, and that works well with 1 male and 3 females.

I keep and breed both types of dwarf cray and ADF's so I highly recommend either! :)
Thanks. The dwarf cays look really cool! I am a little reluctant to get the frogs just because around here, it seems difficult to find healthy ones. I was interested in them awhile back, but I couldn't find healthy ones, so I devoted the tank to something else. And, if I have to order them online and pay for shipping anyway, I may as well look into other species. :)

Thanks. The dwarf cays look really cool! I am a little reluctant to get the frogs just because around here, it seems difficult to find healthy ones. I was interested in them awhile back, but I couldn't find healthy ones, so I devoted the tank to something else. And, if I have to order them online and pay for shipping anyway, I may as well look into other species. :)
Oh really..well then let me add that I've had far greater success with ADF's from shops, both chain and mom and pop, then I have with fiddler crabs, so I would consider them an even larger risk. Unfortunately there is very little you can look for at the time of purchase to determine how healthy they are. It's not at all uncommon for me to replace a crab, where as my frogs nearly never die of anything but old age. It's a shame because they are really so much fun to keep and watch. Nearly all of the specimens for sale in the US are wild caught from brackish mangrove swamps in Florida, and then they are typically kept underwater even though they must have access to air to dry out, and to make it even worse it's often fresh water instead of brackish, which is probably why they often don't last long even if kept properly after time of purchase. They are nearly impossible to breed in captivity, or it would probably be alot easier to get your hands on healthy specimens. If by the frogs looking unhealthy you mean they look very skinny, you can usually save those little guys with lots of fatty high protein foods (bloodworms & brine shrimp), but ones that look bloated should be avoided.

Oh really..well then let me add that I've had far greater success with ADF's from shops, both chain and mom and pop, then I have with fiddler crabs, so I would consider them an even larger risk. Unfortunately there is very little you can look for at the time of purchase to determine how healthy they are. It's not at all uncommon for me to replace a crab, where as my frogs nearly never die of anything but old age. It's a shame because they are really so much fun to keep and watch. Nearly all of the specimens for sale in the US are wild caught from brackish mangrove swamps in Florida, and then they are typically kept underwater even though they must have access to air to dry out, and to make it even worse it's often fresh water instead of brackish, which is probably why they often don't last long even if kept properly after time of purchase. They are nearly impossible to breed in captivity, or it would probably be alot easier to get your hands on healthy specimens. If by the frogs looking unhealthy you mean they look very skinny, you can usually save those little guys with lots of fatty high protein foods (bloodworms & brine shrimp), but ones that look bloated should be avoided.
Good ot know about the skinny versus bloated frogs. Yes, I did mean most of the ones I see are skinny. :)

Hey in new to this site, I was looking for some advice on my adf's. I had one in with my beta for about a month, and she seemed fine. Then about a week ago she stopped eating and now is anorexic looking and laying on her back and acting like she's dying. I separated her and added some aquarium salt to her water. I'm hoping she's just stressed. If so, would it help her to de-stress if she had a froggy friend? Our should I wait to see if she gets better alone before adding any new critters?

Back
Top Bottom