Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Aquatic Reptiles, Amphibians & Herpetology
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

ACF Tank Improvements

Hello and happy new year! I am new to these forums and am impressed by the large community. Hopefully I can get some advice.

I've had a male albino ACF since I was a kid (~15 years now) but have never really looked into proper care for these frogs other than what my parents taught me when I first got it. After reading up more on the matter, I believe that a 5.5 gallon tank is too small for it and that it needs a new filtration system that doesn't disrupt the water too much. It also needs some more plants and hiding places as it currently has a large conch shell which I know isn't native to its natural habitat.

My dilemma is finding appropriate hardware at a reasonable price - I'm a broke student after all haha . I also don't know how much to invest into it considering that it's nearing its average life span. But don't get me wrong; my frog has been my companion since childhood and I hate that I've neglected to treat him better until now.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Old 01-04-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If you have kept it 15 years you have clearly done something right !!

At the age it is now I would personally leave things just as they are the stress of a move and different surroundings could be enough to kill it.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Having a quick read on them they can apparently live to 30 years old so maybe you could get away with a bigger home for it ect as it only half life if it makes it to 30 keeping it 15 years is impressive though
Old 01-05-2017, 02:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the response. I hope to save up for a larger tank and slowly start to introduce some foliage. I agree with you that I should try to avoid stressing him out. My parents said that when we first added some live plants to the aquarium he just chewed them apart. I don't remember what kind they were.

I have also been feeding him frozen blood worms but have read that this should only be given as a snack. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 03-26-2017, 11:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would love some ideas on ADF cuisine. I'm going to start using a turkey baster to limit rotting food between stones. I have pellets now. Any suggestions?

Tags
acf, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com