ACF Water Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wetfishies

Aquarium Advice Regular
My albino claw frogs was introduced to my aquarium ( with fish ) when they was very small. The frogs have not eaten any of my fish & some are small enough for them to eat. But if I was to put some rosey reds in there, them frogs would be all over them. Unfortunately one frog passed. I still have my one female in there now. Well just yesterday actually I went out & bought her a 20 gal. long so she can now be by herself. My questions are.

How long should the water cycle before I add her.

I am aware of the jackhammer sounds for them. But if it`s best for them to be in so much water. & with them needing the filtration, Now with the filters being on top of the tank. the water has further to fall down. which is going to be louder then normal water flow noise. I can not buy a canister filter at this time. If that is my only option? Any advice on this?

cycle the water fishless it seems to be alot less stressful for you and the fish
i had my frogs go threw it while it was cycling.iz took so long to finally cycle i think. because they were in there thats the reason it took so long because of their loads plus the frogs food was making the levels to hard to track .
so just fill it up with water to the levels you want put all yyour plants lights and bubble stone (not good for frogs put your filters on
Then just SET IT AND FORGET
when it turns clear check your perameters so all your levels are ok put fish in slowly
then the frogs NO NETS PLEASE MAY CAUSE INJURY

Sent from my LGLS740 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I filled the tank & added the filter and plants last night. I don`t use air stones. My tank is clear, crystal clear actually. I am only adding the frog to it. The water level reading i have for it is PH & it`s a high reading. Soooo I just need to know what lowers ph

I filled the tank & added the filter and plants last night. I don`t use air stones. My tank is clear, crystal clear actually. I am only adding the frog to it. The water level reading i have for it is PH & it`s a high reading. Soooo I just need to know what lowers ph

I would me more concerned with ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels rather than pH. Animals can adjust to pH differences if properly acclimated. The nitrogenous wastes can be harmful or fatal. If you are not measuring those parameters then you can perform decent sized weekly water changes (50%) to keep the waste levels down.
What kind of filter are you using in the 20g? You could catch and deflect the filter output using rocks, driftwood, filter floss (yeah, not pretty). This should help with the noise and splash.
You asked how long to let the tank cycle before adding the frog. That depends on if you are doing a fish-in or fish-less cycle (in your case frog). You could simply add the frog now and just keep up with the water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Great :) Thank you.. I water change 3 times a day everyday. I added my frog & he was smelling around. I figured smelling her surroundings . Well I hand feed her most of the time. I figured I`d hold some food & see if she wants it. Well she ate it up & she came back for more so I gave her more. She must be happy. Usually animals & others will not eat right away being in a new environment. I was surprised. It was with-in 5 min. I have the marineland penguin 100 power filter. But I have taken the bio-wheel off & replaced it with a fluval carbonated charcoal sack & letting the water flow threw that. it helps tone the noise down

Frog sounds happy/healthy.
What is the distance of the drop from the filter to the water surface? If you can affix a length of filter floss from the lip of the filter, it should buffer the sound. I know, not attractive. Perhaps a vertical piece of slate or driftwood could be used to channel the water back to the tank.
Just a preference, I would use the biowheel over the Fluval carbon pack or use both if possible.

At the most 2 inches, the bio-wheel will not turn because of the carbon sack being there. or will it be ok to keep it there anyway without turning. If the water flow is not flushing threw the tank as it normally would is the tank still getting filtered the correct way?

I would use the biowheel as it will be the primary location of the beneficial bacteria. Colonies that will form in the carbon sack will be gone when you replace it.
If you have a glass hinge top (such as the Aqueon Versa Top) then you can use the excess pieces of plastic strip provided with the top to act as a "bridge" for the output of the filter. Basically, you would cut it to the width of the filter output, attach it to the lip of the filter and bend it downward so that the 2" drop is eliminated. If you need more details, I can provide a link.

That is funny you mention the glass lid, for I went and got one the other day. I was iffy. hoping it doesn't fall in. & by adding the bio wheel now. will it change the water and make different issues happen? can I add the sack in the water hole that is behind the filter cartridge. it`s under the sack but I am sure you know what I am talking about :) then put the bio wheel in? or does water NEED to be going threw the sack in ordinary to do something good for the water.

You can slide the carbon sack between the cartridge and front wall of the filter chamber. Honestly, most folks skip using carbon because it is not necessary unless you are removing medications or toxins from the tank. Just keep up the with the water changes and add the wheel.
What I suggested won't work with the plastic strip you have since a cutout was performed rather than a straight cut. See post #3 in the link below.
Micro bubbles and overstocked?
More detailed description in post #24:
HELP! Micro bubbles still attacking! :(
The plastic strip is cut all the way through. The part of the strip that connects to the glass top is the same that connects to the overflow lip of the filter.

Back
Top Bottom