Adding ADFs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desi

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there! :)

I have a 5 gal with a single make VT betta. I've wanted to get him a tank mate or two in the upcoming weeks, and I've read that ADF are great companions (also I see that is what most of the post are about in this subject area here on AA).

What's a good limit? I'm thinking anywhere from 1-3 froggies.

Since they are copper sensitive, what products should I be wary of? Products I have are: API Stress Coat, Prime conditioner, the API AquaSafe, AQ salt, Epsom salt, E.M. Erythromycin, and the Tetra Parasite Guard. I obviously don't use these all at once, but could or have before. I'd just like to be sure of what is safe for the froggies:)

Also, do you have any experience, tips, stories, or things I should make sure to be aware of?

I heard they can be very sensitive to vibrations... How true is this?

I have a Whisper 5-10 gallon little filter, gravel (but I'm switching to sand before I get frogs), and the temp is always at about 82°.

Adfs will make great tank mates for your betta. Thats what mine are housed with and they are breeding. Salt is a big no no for adfs. I use streas coat and prime so they are ok. I'm not sure about the rest.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks:) both salts I listed, one, or all salts in general?

All salts in general I think. I read online about it when I wad treating my tank for ich. I removed them and had to remove corys from another tank cause again they dont do salt.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi there! :)

I have a 5 gal with a single make VT betta. I've wanted to get him a tank mate or two in the upcoming weeks, and I've read that ADF are great companions (also I see that is what most of the post are about in this subject area here on AA).

A betta alone will stock a 5 gal tank. Frogs should be kept at the very least in pairs, and a couple frogs alone is borderline overstocked. I suggest 10 gal minimum for ADF's.

I have too many times seen or heard about bettas aggression toward the frogs or vise versa to consider mixing the two species a good idea. My frogs have all but swallowed eachothers limbs during feeding time, and I can't imagine seeing a betta with all that finnage getting involved in that!

ADF's have very poor vision and have a difficult time competing for food with fish. For this reason I recommend keeping them in a species tank. If you do keep the frogs with any tankmates it's best to target feed them. I would do this by dropping the food right on their nose with a turkey baster.

What's a good limit? I'm thinking anywhere from 1-3 froggies.

ADF's are very social creatures, I would never keep one alone. Three is fantastic in a 10 gallon tank. One male and two females is the way to go. You can sex them easily because the males have a small bump in their armpits the females do not have.

Since they are copper sensitive, what products should I be wary of? Products I have are: API Stress Coat, Prime conditioner, the API AquaSafe, AQ salt, Epsom salt, E.M. Erythromycin, and the Tetra Parasite Guard. I obviously don't use these all at once, but could or have before. I'd just like to be sure of what is safe for the froggies:)

Hopefully you will never have to use any products with your frogs. It can be difficult to treat them in the event of illness, but in some cases antibiotics must be used. I would try to avoid salt in the vast majority of cases for all freshwater aqautics. To avoid injury or illness with your frogs keep them in a tank heated to approx. 80 degrees, a sponge filter is best since they can become caught in power filters and drown. Feed them only live and frozen foods, along with prepared diets especially for aquatic frogs such as HBH and ReptoMin. They have very sensitive digestive systems and are prone to bloat and dropsy. I have found with proper diet this almost completely preventable. To avoid skin injury be very careful with decor and fake plants. I use only live plants with my froggies and that's what I would suggest. They love to lounge on plants at the surface at times so they can rise to breathe easily, so some floating or tall pennywort or something like that is perfect.

Also, do you have any experience, tips, stories, or things I should make sure to be aware of?

Happy and healthy frogs will breed like crazy when they reach maturity. To call the females, the male will make quite a loud buzzing noise. We hear it on most nights after we turn out the lights. If you catch them in action, the male will be bear hugging the female from behind and squeezing her tight around the middle with his little arms. She may drag him around like this for hours. This is one of the reasons it's best to have two females for every male...so he doesn't exhaust them!

I heard they can be very sensitive to vibrations... How true is this?

I've been keeping and breeding ADF's for years and have never heard this or experienced it.

I have a Whisper 5-10 gallon little filter, gravel (but I'm switching to sand before I get frogs), and the temp is always at about 82°.

After losing a frog in a power filter I switched to sponge filters only for them.

Comments in red :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom