Adf care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flame_fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've read research, watched videos & even gotten advice but I just wanna know a little more about adf.

okay so my top questions are...

are ADF hardy?
are they compatible with baby turtles?
are they aggressive to some fish?
what do they like in their tanks?
what are the signs of sickness?
what temperature do they need?
& last but not least what do they enjoy to eat?

thank you guys :) now hurry up & help me haha jk :lol:

Hi,

I'm no expert but I do keep adf's. I find mine love bloodworms and brine shrimp (I use frozen). They are hand fed so they don't really nip at their tank mates but it has been known. If you have very small fish the adf,s can eat them or anynother adf's smaller than them.
They are generally skittish by nature and pretty nervous. They shouldn't ever be kept with turtles as they will get eaten.
They like the tank to have plenty of hiding places and natural colours that they use to camouflage. They are nocturnal and they sleep for about 12 hrs everyday. Usually when the tank lights are on. Plants are best to be natural as the rough edges of plastic plants cut their webbed feet and damage their limbs. There should not be lots of pebbles etc as these can easily crush the adf. I find moss balls are good as they burrow under them without getting hurt. ( daytime I can always spot them by the mysterious moss ball on legs).
It's advised that you have a tank lid as these guys can get out and unfortunately although they can leave the water, they dry out and die very quickly if they don't get back in. I find they like to balance on one leg off the back of heaters/filters/suckers...anything really and they also like to just be lazy and float on the surface to save them going up for air.

Hope some of this is useful to you :)
They are not strong swimmers so a very deap tank isn't a good idea as they do need to swim to the surface and take in oxygen.

I've read research, watched videos & even gotten advice but I just wanna know a little more about adf.

okay so my top questions are...

are ADF hardy?
are they compatible with baby turtles?
are they aggressive to some fish?
what do they like in their tanks?
what are the signs of sickness?
what temperature do they need?
& last but not least what do they enjoy to eat?

thank you guys :) now hurry up & help me haha jk :lol:

1. They are fairly "hardy".
2. NO.
3. Substrate of sand or smooth stones too large to swallow, decor that won't poke or scratch them, and live plants. Preferably no tankmates other than other frogs and a snail or two.
4. They are very prone to dropsy. A bloated looking frog (who has not just eaten) can be sign of a problem.
5. 80F is perfect
6. HBH frog and tadpole bites and defrosted frozen foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp. Younger frogs should have more of the frozen stuff and convert over to more pellets as they mature. Avoid all pellets not formulated for frogs and avoid freeze dried foods.

Thank you guys both :) this was very useful & one of you guys said adf can't be with fish? Like guppies,mollies ect. but they can't be in a tank with a betta? Just asking because i've heard from owners of adf & a calm betta can live with one of them but i'm really not sure. & how long do they usally live for? Thanks!

flame_fish said:
Thank you guys both :) this was very useful & one of you guys said adf can't be with fish? Like guppies,mollies ect. but they can't be in a tank with a betta? Just asking because i've heard from owners of adf & a calm betta can live with one of them but i'm really not sure. & how long do they usally live for? Thanks!

Glad you found some useful info. As far as tank mates are concerned. I can only speak from my own experience and from mistakes. In 1 tank my adf's live with a garra ruffa, they are sociable and seen clambering over each other or resting on top of each other. Neither seem to mind. Wherever the frogs are the fish is usually not far away from them or totally in contact with them. He is a fully grown garra and a fair size compared to the adf's, I wouldn't trust them if he was small enough to eat.

My other tank has 5 neon tetra (jumbo), a betta and 2 adf's. It's really calm relaxed tank. I now know from research that's not an advisable combo. Poorly advised... I also had guppies in this tank. Big mistake. The frogs snapped a lot especially the tails. I researched what went wrong. Live guppies are quoted as a known food for adf's in some data.

Life span of adf's seems to be varied depending on what research you read. It appears 5 years is a rough guideline but some info quotes that some live up to 20 yrs. ( here's hoping :))

Back
Top Bottom