ADF Chrytid + stocking chance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuclearkielbasa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there, experts!

So i have a pair of African Dwarf Frogs together in a 10, and one recently passed awayand now I'm left with just the one. I want to get more, but I have some questions first:

-How common is chrytid? is it like, a 10% chance or a 60% chance of store stock having it?

-I do not have enough room to have an extra quarantine tank for new frogs, and I do not really want to have her all alone for 2+ months in there. (unless she would be fine? They are social creatures so i imagine it would stress her greatly?)

-What would you all do? Would you keep her alone for the time and quarantine new frogs, or bite the bullet and introduce new ones without quarantining them?

May I assume the deceased ADF did not succumb to chrytid? Had that been the case, my response would be quite different. I’ve had ADFs for years and never had a case of chrytid but I do not know the percentage of chance. I will admit that I have added a frog or frogs on several occasions without quarantining them or have used a shortened time in quarantine. I’m not in favor of prophylactic treatment though some folks recommend it, and it might warrant consideration. I’m comfortable with the local pet store, and I do visually inspect the ADFs for any obvious problems though few if any diseases are visible in the early stages. I’m sure the experts would be quick to remind me that what I’m doing is stupid and irresponsible, and I could not disagree. However, I fully understand and agree with your desire to introduce a new companion in a timely fashion. Should you decide to be cautious, I believe your female would be okay without a companion during the quarantine. Perhaps the tanks could be side by side (though ADFs have poor eyesight) as it might make you feel better (lol). So finally yes, (gulp) I would most likely introduce a new frog without quarantine. Good wishes.

Luckily no, it was not chrytid that killed him!

Thinking more on it, I'll give the new ones a quick quarantine, as I'd thought about how i'd rather not crash my tank if they do indeed turn contagious :/

Female frog is doing just fine so far, she's always been oblivious to everything so i'm glad she's not noticing being alone.

Thank you for your response!

A thought of weighing the damage to be caused and if it is prohibitive of not of major consequence.

For instance adding one frog who looks well into a tank with one other frog and maybe a couple snails, and not rare pair of Guppies, yes I would because it would be a sad loss if something happened but not the end of the world so to speak.

Adding a new group of PRL shrimp into my Pure Red Line colony of 150 well and actively breeding tank. You bet there would be a QT.

I recently added fish from a lfs with healthy looking fish in with their tank mates because they would be the only thing in the tank and keeping a separate QT would be inconvenient and imo unnecessary for my situation.

Anything into my 72G happily running tank, yes QT.

I also consider how difficult it would be to treat the tank if there ended up being a problem. Once got Columnaris from three pretty fish from a trusted lfs and hadn't ever QT'd but now it is VERY important consideration with every purchase/new addition.

ADF seem to not worry about it too much but they DO like friends to hang out with.

Back
Top Bottom