ADF in shoebox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Africac dwarf frogs I assume.

Are you running filtration ? ADF are very sensitive to water conditions, as are most aquatic amphibians

If you set it up correctly sure. A little water flow and light filtration with some 30 - 50% water changes weekly it could work.

but a small 10 gallon or even 5 gallon aquarium makes more sense and are not that expensive

Why don't you do a little research about the adf. And the care of them before you get one. The answer is NOT A GOOD IDEA.

I've heard some people say different things, so I don't know what to do.

How about reading about the frog. Do a little research on the ADF. And then you can come to a decision on how is the best way is to keep it.

I've heard some people say different things, so I don't know what to do.

Can you share any links you encountered during your research that mentioned the shoebox being a good idea? I'm curious to see what was published. Maintaining stable and decent water conditions in such a small volume would probably be the biggest challenge.

What is the capacity for a shoe box? Maybe about a gallon?

If you already own the ADF is this your only option? We might be able to help you.

If you are just checking - no. They need excellent water quality or the ammonia burns cause their skin to fall off, can blind them. And they already have poor vision.

A 10 gallon new tank costs around $15 at local stores. When there is a dollar per gallon sale it would be 10.

A small filter will work. You can get a internal filter for a small tank, Whisper makes one - ~$12..

You can cycle the filter without any ADF. Using plain ammonia no additives ~$1. at a dollar store. So you can use the shoe box to hold the filter and cycle it for 4-6 weeks THEN get ADF and a real 10G tank.

Sometimes/often 10G (or bigger) tank can be found at a thrift store/ Restore, yard sale, for around $5-10 sometimes with gravel heater and filters. Also people get tired of their tanks and get rid of them for free, 0 dollars :) . More money for frogs. They like friends.

Last edited:
What is the capacity for a shoe box? Maybe about a gallon?

If you already own the ADF is this your only option? We might be able to help you.

If you are just checking - no. They need excellent water quality or the ammonia burns cause their skin to fall off, can blind them. And they already have poor vision.

A 10 gallon new tank costs around $15 at local stores. When there is a dollar per gallon sale it would be 10.

A small filter will work. You can get a internal filter for a small tank, Whisper makes one - ~$12..

You can cycle the filter without any ADF. Using plain ammonia no additives ~$1. at a dollar store. So you can use the shoe box to hold the filter and cycle it for 4-6 weeks THEN get ADF and a real 10G tank.

Sometimes/often 10G (or bigger) tank can be found at a thrift store/ Restore, yard sale, for around $5-10 sometimes with gravel heater and filters. Also people get tired of their tanks and get rid of them for free, 0 dollars :) . More money for frogs. They like friends.
This is what I meant to say;)

Wow, I never knew they could have ammonia burns and all that! I can't remember the links. Sorry. So, a filtered 1.5 gallon tank would work? I'm just so confused!!!

I don't own an ADF yet. I've heard they are super cute.

The ADF I adopted from people who didn't want it had skin peeling of. I found out although it could have been something worse, it was apparently from them breaking down a larger tank and then having about 20 fish stored in a 1.4 gallon tank for I don't know how long. I came to buy something from them and then they pleadingly asked me to take everything. The fish were very agitated due to toxic water I'm thinking, and one fish bit the ADF in the face and injured his eye and he lost it. Maybe could have recovered if it wasn't suffering from ammonia and nitrite poisoning. Small nightmare. I wasn't expecting to adopt 20 fish including a adf.

The ADF got a mate and the odd croaking noises they make became less frequent. Very interesting.

The 2 froggies went to live at my friends house and they lived for a couple years or so longer. The one eyed male went first and about 6 months later the female. Friend is thinking of the possibility of a couple/few more in the future she misses them. I wasn't planning on keeping ADF at that time so was happy after sharing the story and her seeing them a number of times she wanted to adopt them.

Have had a few ADF of the years before that. Shrimp have been a bigger small tank interest. I do like the froggies too though.

I've found larger tanks are easier to care for than the smaller ones. African Dwarf Frogs are social creatures and do better with at least one or two other ADFs in their tank. I am also a proponent of keeping only ADFs in the tank. They are basically shy creatures and cannot compete for food with fish who are much faster and more proficient. Maybe you could get a 10 gallon tank and three ADFs. Sponge filters are inexpensive and work quite well without creating a lot of water movement. Brookster123 suggested sources for used tanks, and to those I would add Craigslist, OfferUp, letgo, or other online sites. Good luck!

Thanks! I got an adf, then decided he wasn't the right pet. [emoji853] Maybe in a few years...

Back
Top Bottom