ADF: Is An Airstone Necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McLumpy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have come over to the "darkside", (only because I heard you amphibian guys had cookies HEE!), and now I own 2 adorable African Dwarf Frogs. :D

I just have a quick question, (and it might be a silly one)... do I need to have an airstone in the tank? Seeing as how they, along w/ the Betta that resides w/ them, are surface breathers, I wouldn't think that an airstone would be necessary.

I did a google search, but got mixed opinions on the subject so I wanted to get some input from the good people of AA! (y)

Their home is a 10 gallon tank and I read that in small tanks an airstone may disturb them quite a bit due to the vibration. I do have an air pump and an airstone on reserve, but I wanted to get more input before I jump the gun and add it to the tank.

TIA

I just have a quick question, (and it might be a silly one)... do I need to have an airstone in the tank?
As long as it can reach the top for a breath of fresh air, I would say an Airstone really isnt necessary.

Their home is a 10 gallon tank and I read that in small tanks an airstone may disturb them quite a bit due to the vibration.
The wild ones are the ones that (Not seen in stores) are disturbed from the surface agitation (I believe its because in the wild, it means its a predator), not the store ones.

Thank you for the advice, Tyler! :D

I ended up adding an airstone in the rear, right-corner of the tank and adjusted the airflow to a low setting so it wouldn't harm the frog. I say frog, (singular), because I lost the other one today due to a decor fail, (I explained what happened in my 55 Gallon tank thread). :(

Getting back to the airstone... yeah, the remaining froggy loves it and he doesn't seem the least bit bothered by the vibration! In fact, I think he's using the vibration so he can find his way to the airstone and float in the current. That has to be the funniest thing I have ever seen btw! He must have done it 5 or 6 times! :lol:

It really is a blast, (pun intended lol), to watch him fly up through the current, then float down like a leaf, w/ his legs spread, all the while looking at me w/ this "what's up?" look on his little face. lol

If he's doing it tonight, I'm going to get my camera ready and upload a video of it on here. :D

Back
Top Bottom