Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Aquatic Reptiles, Amphibians & Herpetology
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

ADF Lady Lump

Hey there! Looking to see if i can get some help Identifying what my ADF has; diagnoses for physical things on these little guys can be hard to come by.

I've had her and her boyfriend alone together in a 5 gallon tank for about a 1.5 years; woke up to her with a strange pointy bump on her back!

Now, I know when they amplexus she gets 'ridges' on her back from him squeezing her so much, but those are symmetrical, and they go away after a day or so.

This lump is asymmetrical, only on one side of her. It's particularly pointed, and not something she's had before. It doesnt seem to be hard - she'll smush herself between glass and a glass bowl, and it seems to go down.

Her behavior hasn't changed at all, she's still as feisty as ever. She doesn't shy away from me at all, and she's still eating as usual. She's not trying to rub up against anything, nor is she acting like she's in any pain.

Does this look like something to be worried about, like a tumor or abcess, or maybe a broken rib or bone? Maybe she fell asleep next to the intake and it kinda pulled her skin there? maybe the male bit her during amplexus?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bipsladylumps.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	300557  

Old 06-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi, did you ever sort this out (interested on answer)?

Old 06-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sadly no, she still has the lump, but thankfully it's not gotten any bigger. Her attitude still hasn't changed, she's still active and eating, same as always.

She never shies away from my hands, so I took a chance and gave her some gentle pats when feeding them, to see if I could feel the lump. Sure enough, I can, but it just feels like a little squishy nub, like the rest of her skin. Nothing hard or pointed. She also didn't show any reaction to me touching her, so it looks like it's not anything that causes her any pain.

The only thing I can possibly think of that would've caused it would be the filter intake, which are little vertical bars. maybe she fell asleep against it and it just pulled some skin/muscle in the area?

Since it's not changing size, i'll just keep an eye on it vigilantly. Its great that the ONE thing noone knows about, happens to me LOL
Old 06-27-2017, 06:28 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Best of luck! Thanks for the reply,
Old 07-07-2017, 06:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

It looks very similar to a bump one of my ADFs has had for several months.

Tags
adf, lump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com