ADF Research

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jespenguin

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've started looking at adf's and as always everyone says something different. So here are my questions, what size tank is recommended. I've read 1 gallon per frog(skeptical), 3 gallons, and that they shouldn't be kept in anything less than 10. Question 2: I've read they like companions and other say they hardly acknowledge other frogs in the tank. So do they do best in numbers or not? Lastly 3: I have a 5.5 with a single male betta and I was looking to put them in there, if thats a no no then maybe (insert ideal # here) in my 55 gallon community. I like the diversity they give in a fish filled tank. All input is appreciated:)

1)I'd say nothing less than ten, because it's more like, you can LIVE in a closet, but you won't be HAPPY in a closet. Plus if you have more than one, it's fun to watch them interact in a bigger space.
2)ADF's are close to blind, but I have seen mine interact with each other whether is waiting for food, or chasing each other back and forth around the tank. I'd say they'd be fine solitary.
3)I'd say they would be okay in the 5.5 Betta tank, as long as you have a filter, a heater and a secure lid. (They are very good jumpers), the 55 would be a better choice in my opinion. They do add very much variety and character to a big tank like that. They came to be one of my favorites in my ram tank.

Good Luck!!

Yeah I'm torn between dividing my 5.5 and getting another male and a snail for each. But that's like robbing his much loved space, so I was thinking a single ADF would be a decent companion, and would be nice to look at. And it is heated, filter, with a hood. I think I'll try it and if he doesn't seem to thrive, I'll get friends and put them in the 55.

Go for it! Especially because you have another outlet in case it doesn't work out. He'll be fine, as long as the Betta doesn't take any toes, or he doesn't see the Betta as a treat. =)

A 2.5 gal tank works fine for a pair in a pinch (that's what I'm using for the moment) but I think 5 gal or larger is better. I have always found my ADF's to enjoy eachothers company. They are often right on top of eachother. IMO a 55 gal community is not an ideal place for these frogs. They are almost completely blind. Even in my 2.5 gal tank I have to actually reach in and place their food inside of their cave every day. Now they know that signals feeding time and go in to eat. Otherwise they just never find the food. This is why I recomend a species only tank for them. I used to keep mine with guppies. The problem I ran into was trying to get food to the frogs before the guppies got to it. I would have to position their food to literally drop right on them and even then the guppies would interfere and they would eat too much in the process of me trying to get the frogs to eat. It was a mess. I can't imagine how they could get the food they need a 55 gal community. I've heard nasty stories of bettas tearing up ADF's so I've never tried to mix the two because I can't handle the possiblity of that happening :( But I've also heard some have success mixing the two. A couple things I'd point out about ADF's is their skin is really senstive so I set up their tank with the same care I would a bettas..making sure there are no rough or sharp edges and using a smooth substrate. Make sure all decor is firmly planted in your substrate because they can dive down hard into things and knock loose something and actually get pinned down and drown. Good luck with your frogs :)

I have 1 ADF in a 10 gal. he only has one eye, patronizes my emerald corys and tries to bite everything when he is hungry. ADFs are really funny some things to look out for though is ACFs they are aggressive and look alot like the ADF but have their eyes at the top of their head and no webbed feet, make sure your ADF has hiding holes and easy access to air, they like plant cover but mine enjoys rocks more, and while they do enjoy each others company more than one isn't necessary, live food is enjoyed in the diet.

Back
Top Bottom