African Clawed Frog Face Injury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trickerie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all,

I'm not sure what happen to my frog, but I think he tore his face up pretty bad trying to dig under a rock I had in there. I've since removed it. However, one side of his face is pretty mangled. Should I treat the water with some antibiotics? I have Erythromycin andFuran-2 at my disposal. Also some PimaFix (which I'm not sure actually does anything).

Thanks

As an update, my frog is in rough shape. Physically he looks terrible: almost all the skin on his face rotted and fell off, you can see several layers of skin down. One of his eyes I think was injured, and I'm now hes now blind in it. Its cloudy and ragged looking. The other side of his face, though, looks normal. He acts normal, swims, hides, but will not eat. I've been treating for furan-2 since this began, but today I noticed a growth on his mouth where the dead skin is. It appears fungal, like the "bloom" that appears on decomposing fish food. I touched it with a bit of hydrogen peroxide, and will keep up with the furan-2. I'm wondering if I should stop after this treatment, though, and just let things be.

Fungus growth seems to be spreading even with Furan-2 treatment and a salt dip. My frog is probably in so much pain right now I don't know what to do :(

I read this on another page. Worth a try..

If caught in the early stages,a fungal infection can sometimes be treated by one of several methods: the most commonly recommended method is immersing the animal in a 2% solution of malachite green or mercurochrome for 5 minutes,repeating after 24 hours if symptoms do not improve. If no improvement shows after 3 such treatments seek the advise of a vet. Another treatment I ran across was coating with 8-hydroxyquinoline (one part per 5000 every other day) until the condition vanishes.

Back
Top Bottom