African Dwarf Frog Haven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a whisper, it is called an Aqua-Tech 5-15, with 100 ghp flow. Have you heard bad things, or were you just checking. I may also leave the 3g rated filter until by ghost shrimp is about to drop her eggs.

Those are my favorite filters. I got started with them when I began this hobby because it came in a tank kit. Now they is almost all that I use. I've got a 5-15 on my ten gal QT, a 30-60 and a 20-40 (soon to be two 30-60's) in my 55 gal goldie tank, a 20-40 and an Emperor 400 on my 60 gal community tank. I have a 20-40 in my 23 gal flatback hex, which is where I keep my frogs. I've got a male betta, 3 ADF's, 2 bristlenose plecos and 5 nerites in there. I have to use a piece of plastic over the outflow though, to slow down the current because it was a bit much for the betta.

Sometimes it is a bit hard to get them started, esp the smaller AT's but I haven't had a bit of trouble with them. A good thing about using all the same kind is that the filter media are all the same size (with the exception of the 5-15's of course), so as siva said, if I need to cycle a tank, I can just take one of the filter cartridges from an established tank. I also keep extra sponges (I think they are for the AC filters) in all of my filters for extra homes for the bacteria and again for some extra bacteria in case I need it.

I never really have had problems with my AT. I must say it has treated me well, given I have only had it for 3 or 4 months. I don't even use the special filter media, I got an idea from the net. I just take thin quilt batting and double it over then cut it to the size I need. It has held up exceptionally well.

I started with an ADF/guppy tank actually, and eventually split them because the guppies would eat way too much before the frogs could get any. I'd try to sneak the food past them into the frogs feeding cave but they were onto me, of course lol. I would try to drop the food right on the frogs noses, but they would interfere. They'd end up fat and bloated looking which was of course not healthy, and I just gave up and seperated them. Well and then now, with my big froggy boy Sid (cuz he's vicious, get it lol) I know he'd rip up a guppy. Of course folks keep them in community tanks and report success, this is just my experiences.

Just out of curiosity, did the guppies eat it first if you fed the frogs after lights out? I have noticed that mine are finally on a routine and will perk up when they hear the door open and they know where the food dish is. They are gobbling it up within a matter of minutes. Just wondering because I had thought about a guppy when I add the heater, but I still like the species.

I used to have guppies with my frogs. I would feed the fish at one end of the tank and using a syringe, feed the frogs at the other end. By the time the guppies have finished catching all the flying/floating/sinking flakes the frogs have eaten.

I never really have had problems with my AT. I must say it has treated me well, given I have only had it for 3 or 4 months. I don't even use the special filter media, I got an idea from the net. I just take thin quilt batting and double it over then cut it to the size I need. It has held up exceptionally well.

I haven't either. I've had my original 5-15 since 2008 and have added more over time as Ive gotten more and larger tanks. Good idea about the quilt batting. When I first bought these filters I didn't know about alternate media, so I bought boxes of the media that fit in the AT's. BUt since I never change them (I do remove the carbon from most of them, leaving a few with carbon in case I need to use meds) I still have quite a few that should last for some time.

Just out of curiosity, did the guppies eat it first if you fed the frogs after lights out? I have noticed that mine are finally on a routine and will perk up when they hear the door open and they know where the food dish is. They are gobbling it up within a matter of minutes. Just wondering because I had thought about a guppy when I add the heater, but I still like the species.

I know isn't that cute..I love it when they hear it open and all these little faces pop up looking at me hehe. I do feed right before I turn the lights out. IME guppies are such effecient eaters they are down searching for bits they've missed so quickly, the frogs still didn't stand a chance. I do think they still easily got to frog bites, but the worms and shrimp they just couldn't get to first, and they are really carnivores so I think that's important for them. If you do try, I would add 3 guppies because they are really social and wouldn't want to be alone. I'm often tempted to give it a go again myself, but now I've come to worry about the fish more than the frogs :ermm: LOL if you do the combo, make sure to let me know how it goes! I know, it is tempting. :)

Haha, it is driving me NUTS! I really want to get some, do you think three males or three females would work. I definately don't have room in any of my other tanks for the babies should they breed. I didn't know if the males would get aggressive towards each other even if there wasn't a female around. I also worry: what if the guppies get sick with fin rot or something of that nature, would it bother the frogs or just QT the affected guppy. Will let you know how it goes if I take the next step.

I've always kept a group of males and I've only ever seen aggression towards one if it is already ill. There are so many beautiful males and the females just aren't so much so I always go with males if not breeding. Yes, I would QT the affected guppy, I wouldn't use treatments like melafix or salt with the frogs in. :)

I believe the last question I have is:
Should I be worried that the ADF's do what they did to my betta in the first place? I definately don't want the guppies to end up with torn fins.

:( Yes. Maybe..just maybe it won't be a problem because they don't have as much finnage. It's hard to say.

I have danios with my ADF and everyone seems happy. I give the danios flakes and the ADF pellets that sink. The danios try to eat the pellets but the pellets are usually to large to swallow and so they just pass the pellet back and forth until they drop it and the frogs get it :)

I would enjoy some danios, but they really need a 20g tank, and this is only 5.5g. Danios also need cooler temperatures than ADF's.

Ah for some reason, I thought we were talking about a 10 gal. The only fish I would put in a tank that size besides a betta, would be nano fish like one of the micro rasboras. Something like boraras brigittae aka mosquito rasbora is perfect for a small tank...they are soooo tiny..I have a school of 11 of them in a 14 gallon and you can hardly even tell they are in there lol. But how would frogs mix with fish that small? That's a good question. They are so small they could be gobbled up in one bite yet...all of my frogs but my big ol' bruiser I would probably trust with them. I really think guppies need atleast a 10 though. Not only for space, but also due to bio-load. Livebearers tend to create more waste than most other fish of comparable size.

Okay, I was wondering how 3 guppies would do in such a small tank. Glad that got cleared up. Thanks for the ideas, but I would never find those less common fish. I am still contemplating a betta I saw at the LFS, it had less finnage and maybe the frogs wouldn't think it was food. I am not sure what I would do if things didn't work out so I may just keep it a species only tank. Thanks

Presenting the New and Improved ADF Haven

A lot sure has happened in the past couple of days!

I added some larger "accommodations" by upgrading the terra cotta pots from 1.5 inches to 3 inches.

Also upgraded filtration from the Red Sea Deco Art Nano (15 gph) to the Aqua-Tech 5-15 (100 gph).

Installed heater preset to 78* F.

And I added a beautiful female betta just this morning!

Now for some pictures...

Oh she's purdy :) What do the frogs think of her so far?

And hey I wanted to mention to you, my frogs love pennywort and banana plant. Once they reach the surface you'll see them resting on the leaves at the top so they are mostly out of the water. It's cute and seems to make them happy ;)

I'm worried about the heater. It's the tetra right? It's a real pile. If it actually heats your tank to 78, I would be real surprised. I have 3 of them and they won't even heat a 2.5 gal beyond 76. The last one I purchased just didn't even work right out of the box and I returned it to walmart...read the reviews on amazon and saw that is happening alot lately. If you have the packaging still I would save it. If it heats your tank to 78 consistently that's OK, though 80 would be better 78 will do, but if like mine it only heats to 76, IME that's a little too chilly for both the betta and the frogs.

She is fine with the frogs, and they have seemed to leave her alone. They had a few times where they kinda checked each other out and the did lunge at her during feeding when she got too close to the dish. Other than that, everything has been smoother than imagined.

I have actually been pretty surprised at how well the heaters have done for me...knock on wood. I have the same one in all 3 of my tanks and they seem to be pretty good. The problem is Tetra heaters at walmart are the only 50 W ones I can find. I would love to get an adjustable fluval or comparable heater from petsmart/petco, but I would be in deep doo doo if I spent too much money. Making $40 every 7 - 10 days when you are a fish addict is not that much. I do know they are not that good, but I am just going with what I got until something happens. I will get me a thermometer for the tank next chance I get so I can keep an eye on it, but they keep all my tanks at or above 77*.

Sounds like you have had bad luck with Tetra products.

Back
Top Bottom