African Dwarf Frog with lump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AriaF1980

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My ADF suddenly had a large lump on her(?) side earlier this week. I've seen bloat and this doesn't look like any I've seen before. Someone suggested gas, said to fast her for a couple days. Didn't work. So I went to my local aquatic shop and the nice man sold me something to add to the water to treat for bloat or other illnesses. So I started that today. (I test the water regularly and it always has good levels.) So now she is in her own tank on quarantine.
Has anyone seen this before? Is it bloat.. Dropsy? I also heard it's possible she didn't lay her eggs, if she is a she!? She will eat. She swims a bit but seems off balance. And floats to the top quickly, I figure that lump is full of air...?? It's been almost a week now and nothing has changing in the lump at all.
Thanks in advance.
Aria

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1437194070203.jpg
    1437194070203.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 417
Last edited by a moderator:
I see you have received no help yet.

Total opinion, it looks to me he has a blockage creating a base for air to be trapped. I know skinned pea mush is naturally meant to help with blockages and often offered to constipated fish.

Hope we can help and any further info you could provide could help.

What is its diet? Size of tank and companions? Have there been any anomalies in behavior or hunger? Is he still eating (I think you said he was but just for confirmation.)

The more details you can add, the more likely a diagnosis can be formed.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is it going?

For the pea just take a fresh pea from inside the pod, or a frozen kind, microwave it in a little water from treated water - till the round pea is softened. Then take the outer layer off of the pea and there will be mainly two parts of the pea inside, sometimes the little part which will sprout depending on the age of the pea, any of the soft parts inside are used.

Then put it down into the tank in front of the frog. If he doesn't eat it after a few minutes I would use a dollar store turkey baster and gently make it move just a little in front of him, try that a few times and see if he goes for it.

Feed a few pieces, as many as he will eat. You can use the turkey baster to suck up uneaten food.

Some times a little squeeze of garlic juice from the clove can entice them and is healthy for them. Just try a drop on some soft pea insides.

Once you see him eating and pooping - has he been pooping? What color brownish reddish, or clearish white? Try to see...

You might try some live brine shrimp if you can get them from a lfs or some Hikari (frozen would be my first choice) blood worms.

Feed what he will eat and suck up any uneaten food with the baster.

We might see if any one has used Epsom salt with ADF, it helps with fish but I have not used it with a frog, that I can remember.

Thanks for the idea with the pea. I will give it a try. She is usually in a 5 gallon tank with 1 other adf. I took her to the lfs and they suggested putting her in her own tank and giving her turtle fix. But they didn't have any there. I will definitely try to pea today but as of yesterday she was refusing her blood worms. :( Usually she eats blood worms with the occasional ReptoMin pellet. Until the lump formed she was acting normal. It seems to have come on quite fast. And she is no longer eating now. But I will offer her a pea today. She hasn't been pooping. I put her in a 1 gallon alone so I can monitor her. The water was cloudy yesterday evening. But no poop to be seen. I changed the water and will check it again once I get home.
Thanks again for your help.

Unfortunately she did not make it. The lump grew very large while I was at work yesterday and she was gone by the time I got home. :( But now I know, if her sister forms any lumps, I will try the pea first thing. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom