African dwarf frog with white spot on back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jalfaro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
My african dwarf frog has developed a little white spot on his back. Anybody out there know what this might be?
Jav

Attachments

• SickFroggy.jpg
    SickFroggy.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 2,251
I don't know anything about African frogs, but I used to breed linebacked woodfrogs as a hobby, and if I had to take a guess, I would say it's either a fungal infection or a parasite. It's hard to tell from the picture. I am probably way off.

In any case, I hope it's nothing serious. Is his skin stretched over the spot, or is the spot ontop of his skin? Has it grown at all?

Looks like a fungus infection. You can treat with a LITTLE bit of salt as frogs are sensitive. Also treat with some sort of medication. Maybe metaflex but look around. You need to seperae the frog from other frogs and i dont know if it can infect fish but to be safe i would.

more information

Hi there,
Thanks for the help everyone!
The spot is growing under the frogs skin though its a little fuzzy on the surface.
The spot is about 1 mm high with a diameter of 2 mm.
Does that change the diagnosis?
Jav

No, that helps me diagnose this more as a fungus infection. You need to seperate the frogs FAST. You need to keep his water REALLY clean. And you need to use salt (very little, about a tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons) or meroxy. The thing you need to remember is alot of salt is bad for frogs but the little you will use shouldnt hurt it. The frog wont neccessarly like it but it wont kill it before it kills the fungus. Add it slowly.

I wouldn't use salt at all for ADF's. Obviously they have no scales and are very sensitive to salt. I'm wondering about chytrid fungus? Lamisil and benzylkonium (sp?) chloride have been found to be helpful, but chytrid is usually deadly if not treated early. It is usually recommended that when first buying an ADF, to keep it in QT for two to three months (which is how long that chytrid could take to show itself) and to treat prophylactically with either the Lamisil or BK. Is the frog looking tattered at all? That is usually more of a sign of chytrid than the fuzzy signs you are seeing. I'm don't know if we are allowed to link to other websites here, so I'm going to go and find which meds are safe for ADFs. They are very sensitive and don't take well to most fish meds.

Ok, so far, the only meds I have found that are safe for ADS's are Maroxy for fungal infections and Maracyn 2 for bacterial infections. I don't know which your frog might have (I've been confused about bacterial vs fungus with my fish before. Just because its fuzzy, isn't always fungus). The Maroxy is dosed two drops per gal for four to five days. Make sure that the water is pristine, isolate the frog and be observant. Good luck. I've got four of these little buggers myself and I love them.

ACTUALLY, a frog is sensitive to salt yes. And i would do the medicine first, but there are many people that have used salt with there ADF for sickness. They dont except it well BUT if you down the dose they can stand it as they have a higher tolerance then the fungus.

There are very few medications that are safe for your frog.
maracyn2 can be used for bacterial infections.
Maroxy or Benzalkonium Chloride can be used for fungus.
if there onoly one white spot it shedding it skin

try to wait if it still doesnt go away you might need to do something eles

Back
Top Bottom