African Dwarf frogs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richard871

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've a couple of African dwarf frogs in a small nano tank, I've just added a betta. Can you add stress coat to the water or would that have a detrimental effect on the frogs?

I wouldn't add anything that doest say amphibian safe. I have three ADF in a ten gallon with different kinds of fish. And I don't use any fish chemicals. If I have to use ph buffer I take them out. And then add the buffer and acclimate them again.

I've had my ADF's for about 6 months now in a community tank, and I do use Stress zyme and Stress Coat at every water change (weekly). I have not seen any detrimental effects. The frogs eat well and are very active. Even when I had an ich outbreak, Ich Attack was used with no harmful side effects. Leaf Zone is also used in that tank once every 2 weeks. That is just my experience, and not vet or scientifically recomended, but imo I think it would be ok.

I have used Correct pH tabs and Aqua Safe water conditioner...........have no problems with my frog........I have had her for four years now,she is very healthy no problems :)...............the only recent thing I was concerned about was I got a bad batch of feeder fish with ich 3 days ago.......scared me for my frogs health.....she seems fine,and reading your forum I found that treating tank/fish for ich will not harm my frog....whew :)..........do you know if frogs can get ich from infected fish? or is it only fish that can get it?

Hi Brenda, I'm not entirely sure, one thing I've been doing recently is a dose of aquarium salt in all my tanks. 1g per litre as a preventative after a dose of whitespot in my main tank, I've continued this in my Dwarf frog tank and shrimp tank without any adverse effect.

Frozen Bloodworm mainly. They sometimes have a nibble on flake for the fish but mainly Bloodworm.

Gotcha, you mentioned goldfish.
My African Dwarf frogs even if they tag teamed wouldn't overcome a goldfish unless a baby. 

Watching tv last night I heard a strange squeak noise, first off I thought it was a dodgy impeller but soon realised it was happy frogs. 

Has anyone bought baby guppies for their ADF's? I used to have them all the time when I had guppies in my tank, they seemed to enjoy them more than regular bloodworms. Not that they're not pigs with the bloodworms ha ha. They won't eat the aquatic frog pellets either, not quite sure what else I can feed them...

I just got two african dwarf frogs- I asked the guy at the pet store if I needed to worry about sex and breeding, and he said they shouldnt- but then I looked it up, and everywhere says they will. How do I know if a dwarf frog is male or female? I read about the spot under the arm, but one of mine is albino, and I dont know how to tell with that one. HELP!!

Back
Top Bottom