African Dwarf Frogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My filter runs completely on my air stone....

NatureFish
????

Ok. Since this is my first tank (I've had experience with goldfish ponds and koi) would you recommend I get these frogs or hold off until I'm more experienced? I mean I'm not terrible at fish keeping and I have done a lot of research...

NatureFish
????

My frogs were the second fish i got after my betta. They are sensitive to ammonia because they don't have scales. They also shed their skin and eat it.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They're not exactly difficult, just making sure they eat and don't get eaten. As well as making sure they can swim to the surface for oxygen. As long as your current tank meets their requirements, then why not

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My current tank isn't set up yet I still have to cycle it.

NatureFish
????

I have 6 adfs with ghost and cherry shrimp. They only try to nip when a shrimp moves in front of them, but anymore they don't even bother. Its too hard to catch and my frogs are lazy. They'd rather hang out on their floating dock with their noses out of water or lay in their food plate and wait for next feeding. Oh yeah, they are pigs. Never food leftover. When each type of shrimp was added, a couple frogs would attempt to stalk, but the shrimp caught on pretty quick. Hell, I have one really brave shrimp who dives in when they are eating, steals a worm or pellet, and swims off to sit on a rock and eat. Adfs are funny little things, but not very bright! Oh I and I cycled my tank with them, before I knew about cycling. I got lucky, no harm done, but I don't recommend it. They are sensitive.

I too want African dwarf frogs for my future betta tank! So do I just acclimate em' and feed them and that's it? What do you do with then during water changes? Do they need a lid?

NatureFish
????

I would say yes to the lid. I had one jump out and I had no idea where it was until I found him all dried up under the bed ??? keeping the water an inch or so below the top of the tank may be just as good of a solution as a lid

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Do they need a floating dock or place to rest above water? I thought they were purely aquatic...

NatureFish
????

If for some reason ADF don't work out are there any other betta tank mates besides shrimp or fish? I would probably kill a shrimp by accident....and I want something besides another fish.

NatureFish
????

In anything smaller than a 20 gallon, I wouldn't have any other fish with a betta IMO. ADFs don't need a floating dock, and majority of the time you'll see them floating at the surface

I got my cousin a pair for her birthday or Christmas while we were in college. They lived for 5 or so years :)

No, they don't need a floating dock. However mine absolutely LOVE it. There's always at least two up there, though they hang out behind it and rarely on it. Its funny to see little frog heads or noses poking above it and frog feet dangling under it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1410449981056.jpg
    1410449981056.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 1410450005007.jpg
    1410450005007.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 1410450031050.jpg
    1410450031050.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 80
If for some reason ADF don't work out are there any other betta tank mates besides shrimp or fish? I would probably kill a shrimp by accident....and I want something besides another fish.

NatureFish
????

Shrimp are easy to have. If you are afraid of killing them, start with ghost shrimp. They are super cheap. Out of my first 4, 3 died. I got 5 more and cherries and all alive and happy. With ghosts, many will die but not because of anything you do. They aren't taken care of well in stores cause they are sold as feeders. But at less than $.50 a shrimp, its worth trying!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't like dead things that's why I don't want shrimp that die....I mean everything does but I don't want something to die in a year or less.

NatureFish
????

They don't need any kind of floating dock. I just see mine swim to the surface for a quick second for air, then dart back down to the surface. They're pretty funny. Once I saw on riding on my mystery snail shell. I know ghost shrimp can get sucked up by the filter, so I'd suggest you research it a bit. Not sure what else can go with a betta though

What do you do to care for ghost shrimp? What is the minimum tank size? It would be cool if I had a giant wine glass and put a shrimp in there and called it a "shrimp cocktail"! Hahaha!

NatureFish
????

I've owned shrimp before and they're pretty interesting. However a wine glass would not be a good home for any animal. An established freshwater aquarium of at least 5 or more gallons with plenty of hiding places and a mature substrate are the ideal setup for Ghost Shrimp. It should be with small peaceful fish that will not pose a threat of eating these shrimp.

Ok. I have a ten gallon as I mentioned before so I guess I could put them in there but will a betta or ADF eat them?

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom