African dwarf frogs and bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldmoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I have been doing a lot of reading and research on ADFs recently and I really want to get one. However, I don’t have space for a separate tank for them. I would have to keep it in a tank with a betta fish (I think it would have trouble getting to the top of a 20 gallon tall to breathe) but I’ve heard different things about how they might get along. I’m not as worried about the betta attacking the frog because my bettas are actually quite laid back and there’s a lot of hiding spots in the tank anyways. I’ve read horror stories about the frogs attacking/ eating bettas though [emoji51] Does anybody have any experience with this? I really want to get one but I won’t if it won’t end well for the frog or my betta. Any and all advise is appreciated; thanks in advance!

ADF are sorta blind, at least have a hard time seeing and my chomp at whatever they feel might be food.

Also people need to make sure there is food getting down to the ADF as they are not going to get much of the Betta (or other tank inhabitants) eat most or all of the food.

Never have I heard or seen an ADF go after a Betta. Obviously anything is possible.

But I am suspect about ADF - African Dwarf Frog, being confused with an African Clawed Frog which would get SO MUCH Bigger, and could indeed attack a Betta. The frogs use a "if I can get it into my mouth it's food" policy. They sound so much alike and look similar when smaller.

So if you get some - better to get a few to be friends and pile on top of each other. Male is a more narrow body shape and female a bit more arrowhead/wider body shape.

And make sure to study pics of juvenile ADF and ACF to make sure you are getting the right one, not depending upon a store employee to tell you. Also it is not unusual for ADF to be a little bit fat. Often the skinny near bony ones seen in the store haven't been getting enough to eat.

The males make odd buzzing type noises as a mating call can check on you tube for examples if you are curious, and are adorable pets to keep.

Just make sure there are cliff, ledge type hiding places for the frogs to hide and escape out the back in case the Betta gets an aggressive streak.

This is interesting but I feel that they ADwarfF would be better in a bigger aquarium than in the tiny container he shows

Last edited:
This is interesting but I feel that they ADwarfF would be better in a bigger aquarium than in the tiny container he shows

Thanks for all the great advice! If/when I get the ADF, it would be going in either a 2.5 or a 5.5 gallon tank with live plants and some caves. I’ll do some more research on ADFs and ACFs just to be sure I know what I’m getting. Thanks again for all the great advice; I really appreciate it!

As always, I find Autumnsky to be spot on and so knowledgeable. Thank you for sharing your expertise and compassion, Autumnsky!

[/QUOTE][/B] And make sure to study pics of juvenile ADF and ACF to make sure you are getting the right one, not depending upon a store employee to tell you. Also it is not unusual for ADF to be a little bit fat. Often the skinny near bony ones seen in the store haven't been getting enough to eat.

As she said, be careful that you get African dwarf frogs and not the African clawed frog. I was surprised that a knowledgeable seller at a reputable store made that mistake. Somehow I happened to notice the lack of webbing between the fingers and returned them immediately. If you do choose to try your ADFs with your betta, feed them separately with a bulb syringe. The entertainment value alone will make it well worth the few minutes it takes.

The video was more for seeing the difference of the frogs...

I have kept them over the years in a variety of set ups...community tank, couple to 5 gallon Betta tank, Giant plant vase probably was a couple gallons with weekly water changes with a Betta (was long long ago and I didn't know that much about them, so not really bad but wouldn't recommend it now). And in a couple gallon planted bowl for a little while (after adopting one from someone who basically gave/nearly begged me to take all their fish when I went to buy a small empty fish tank from them).

They are not super active but it is nice for them to have lots of places to explore and things to climb around on - an interesting environment to live in, warm and clean water, good food. Fun pets.

Back
Top Bottom