African Dwarf Frogs - Fitting for this tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'd love to buy 2 African Dwarf Frogs for my tank, I'm worried it might be too deep. I've read dozens of posts and sites, some saying 2-3 feet is OK, some saying only 6".

I have 2 tall fake plants, but without owning frogs before, my guess it that they would step on the leaves and being the plant is so lightweight, it couldn't help the frog?

I have no floating plants (don't want too many hiding places for fry).

36 G Freshwater Tropical Community Tank, water is 17" from top to top of substrate

Attachments

• 20131124_141319.jpg
    20131124_141319.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 5,228
Probably too tall for frogs. Also they usually need to be hand fed.

I've had them do fine in a 36 bowfront and a 15g column both at least 18" from top to bottom. Never had to hand feed mine as they are great at scavenging

I have 3 adfs in a 46 gallon bow front. They are about 3 years old. Never hand fed them. I feed them sinking pellets for bottom feeders. They find them as soon as the pellets hit the bottom. No problems what so ever. They do tend to give up when swimming up for air on occasion but they try again and make it after. Also I put some floating plants for them to sit on.

They may go back in my 20gallon Coldwater someday. But no worries in my experience. Just make sure they are getting to the food in time.

I guess my frog is just spoiled haha! He refuses to eat anything unless it's from my tweezers. Once he sees me he instantly swims up to the glass

I wish mine were like that. I've trained my angel and blood parrot to do it. Enjoy hand feeding I say

I've had ADFs in most of my tanks over the years with now major issues with tank size. If they scavenge for good you're really lucky. I've had both types ones I needed to use a syringe or turkey baster to feed or the ones that scavenge very well.

One major tip they are escape artists make sure you can a good cover

I'd love to buy 2 African Dwarf Frogs for my tank, I'm worried it might be too deep. I've read dozens of posts and sites, some saying 2-3 feet is OK, some saying only 6".

I have 2 tall fake plants, but without owning frogs before, my guess it that they would step on the leaves and being the plant is so lightweight, it couldn't help the frog?

I have no floating plants (don't want too many hiding places for fry).

36 G Freshwater Tropical Community Tank, water is 17" from top to top of substrate

I love AFDs so I can help you. I am also going to buy this tank, so I researched the topic. Yes that tank is way too tall. AFDs are fine in tanks up to 10 inches tall, this includes a 10 gallon tank and below. So no afd can ever live in your tank.

The plants wouldn't really help the little guys, becaue it's the pressure that keeps them under water, the deeper down, the more pressure.

Even if you added floating plants it wouldn't make a difference because AFDs are fully aquatic, they normally are at bottom of tank.

My afd is never hand fed, as a matter of fact I don't even feed it live blood worms. Mine has lived happily in my 10 gallon tank for 7 months feeding off leftover food, I drop in freeze dried blood shrimp once every other week.

Sorry not the answer you wanted to hear.... But it's the truth.

Back
Top Bottom