African Dwarf Frogs! Sand in stomach!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ewokbuns

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone! I have an extremely fat African Dwarf Frog. He is VERY fat compared to the other. It's either SHE is full of eggs..or...it has sand caught in it's stomach. Is sand safe for these guys? I usually feed them just bloodworms but they do eat algae wafers.

If sand was consumed the frog should be able to easily digest it and pass it through. Carrying eggs could be a possibility but I'm not sure what adf spawning looks like :p. More than likely it just feasted on the algae pellet. I've mistaken my fishes stuffed bellies for eggs before but they just overate and it eventually went down by the next day.

If sand was consumed the frog should be able to easily digest it and pass it through. Carrying eggs could be a possibility but I'm not sure what adf spawning looks like :p. More than likely it just feasted on the algae pellet. I've mistaken my fishes stuffed bellies for eggs before but they just overate and it eventually went down by the next day.

Yea thats what I'm thinking but, it's been like that for awhile!

Females tend to be larger and more round than the males. Your frog doesn't look horribly bloated to me. But I have read that bloodworms can be bad for their systems and should only be fed as a treat. If you are using freeze dried bloodworms, this can be especially bad because they can expand in their stomachs.

Bloodworms and algae wafers alone are not enough to meet their nutritional needs. You should look for a high quality frog pellet to feed your frogs so you can make sure they are getting the proper nutrition.

This is how I make the food my frog eats: http://www.myaquariumclub.com/frog-jello-3559.html

Females tend to be larger and more round than the males. Your frog doesn't look horribly bloated to me. But I have read that bloodworms can be bad for their systems and should only be fed as a treat. If you are using freeze dried bloodworms, this can be especially bad because they can expand in their stomachs.

Bloodworms and algae wafers alone are not enough to meet their nutritional needs. You should look for a high quality frog pellet to feed your frogs so you can make sure they are getting the proper nutrition.

This is how I make the food my frog eats: http://www.myaquariumclub.com/frog-jello-3559.html

Thank you so much! I'm gonna do this!

Back
Top Bottom