Albino African Dwarf Frogs DO Exist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pheonagirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have seen posted on here that there is no such thing as an albino dwarf frog, that the albino ones are all african clawed frogs. The albino dwarf that I have is an African Dwarf Frog. She/he definitely NOT a clawed frog. I have looked at the site that descibes the differences and mine is an African Dwarf Frog.
photo.php

Since I live in California and clawed frogs are supposed to be illegal here I was panicked. I know this is an old thread but it is where I ended up looking for info so I am sure others will come here too. Just because you haven't seen something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Palei exists, I have photos to prove it...

I thought that you could get them, I seen them in a shop once and I wasn't allowed to get them because they're 'clawed'. I even checked if they were clawed instead of dwarf and they were dwarf but I just thought maybe they were late on getting the clawed frog's looks.

there is more than likely an albino version for every animal it's just a specific arrangement of DNA. I have seen a lot of albinos from skunks that are partial albino to fish even birds. I volunteer at a zoo and see this stuff all the time so a ADF that is albino shouldn't be a big shocker.

I also wanted to start this thread. I have an albino dwarf frog too. I even argued with the guy at the pet store about it lol. until i looked closer.

I also wanted to start this thread. I have an albino dwarf frog too. I even argued with the guy at the pet store about it lol. until i looked closer.

Oh my I'm green with envy!!! I knew they exsisted but I haven't seen one in 20 years! I would LOVE to have one :(

the store i see them at is a local store here in ALASKA... so ive never looked for fish anywhere else...

albino dwarf

I recently bought four frogs sold as albino draft afirican frogs in a state where clawed frogs are illegal. I have been searching for days to find out if they really are dwarf frogs. The four questions most people suggest using to tell them apart are very confussing, maybe someone can help me. The eyes are on the sides of the head, the front feet are webbed, they are albino colored, and they have flat snots. According to what I could find dwarf frogs have pointed noises, all four webbed feet, do not come in albino coloration, and have eyes on the top of the head.

your right,they do exist.every species gets colour mutations,the most common being albino-ism.its simple evolution

I don't know why people keep saying that there is no such thing as albino ADFs. I also own one. It is not a clawed frog for sure, I have had him for several months and he is still the tiniest thing in my tank. I had previously posted about this too because I was confused. Just because someone has never seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I suppose it is possible that they aren't "true albino" or something but mine even has pink eyes. As long as it has all of the other physical signs of being an ADF, not clawed frog, don't worry about it. I was afraid that being albino would make mine less able to find food or get around but he is the most adventurous of all 5 of my frogs. Good luck with your albino, mine is my favorite one with the most personality...

ryan-peddle said:
i would like to know as well because the are available hereand i thought of getting one just didnt know if they are compatible with fish

They eat fish.

Also, some people release them in the wild, and they become a very invasive animal to the natural wildlife.

So some states just do away with keeping them all together.

I actually have a clawed frog. The front feet won't be webbed. That's the easiest way to tell.

I recently bought four frogs sold as albino draft afirican frogs in a state where clawed frogs are illegal. I have been searching for days to find out if they really are dwarf frogs. The four questions most people suggest using to tell them apart are very confussing, maybe someone can help me. The eyes are on the sides of the head, the front feet are webbed, they are albino colored, and they have flat snots. According to what I could find dwarf frogs have pointed noises, all four webbed feet, do not come in albino coloration, and have eyes on the top of the head.

It would be easiest if you could post a few pics? Try to get some clear shots of the face/head and feet.

are you 100% positive there is such a thing as an ALBINO african dwarf frog???
i just bought one yesterday as well as a normal african dwarf frog, and now im freaking out about it.
I called the pet store and the guy said "i know the difference between a clawed frog and a dwarf frog, and these definitely look like dwarf frogs."
I've gotten mixed answers on different sites- HELP!!!
I have a betta fish in there too, and I'm so scared the frog will grow and eat them... how do i know??

relisefishies8897 said:
there is more than likely an albino version for every animal it's just a specific arrangement of DNA. I have seen a lot of albinos from skunks that are partial albino to fish even birds. I volunteer at a zoo and see this stuff all the time so a ADF that is albino shouldn't be a big shocker.

+1
African dwarf frogs.
African clawed frogs.
Albino African clawed frogs.
Then there's also :
Albino African dwarf clawed frogs. But I've never heard or seen a ALBINO AFRICAN DWARF FROG.

are you 100% positive there is such a thing as an ALBINO african dwarf frog???
i just bought one yesterday as well as a normal african dwarf frog, and now im freaking out about it.
I called the pet store and the guy said "i know the difference between a clawed frog and a dwarf frog, and these definitely look like dwarf frogs."
I've gotten mixed answers on different sites- HELP!!!
I have a betta fish in there too, and I'm so scared the frog will grow and eat them... how do i know??

I have absolutely seen an albino african dwarf frog. Just check the front feet..are they webbed? If so, it's an ADF. If there's no webbing between the digits, it's an ACF.

That's awesome. One question though, why are clawed frogs illegal in some states?

Just found this forum, I have 2 African Albeanos in my tank( dwarf with four claws!!) there used to be guppies, lobster,angel fish, neons... All had been attacked and eaten by the frogs!!! Just the frogs remain and I'd like tO put fish back in however does this mean I should get rid of the frogs I really don't want to any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom