American bullfrog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Majbarsalona

Aquarium Advice Freak
My friend and I stumbled upon an American bullfrog on a walk through the woods. We took him home and he is now in a 10g fish tank with gravel, a couple inches of dechlorinated water, driftwood for surface area, a sponge filter and two lights. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated

As of right now he's only about 1.5 inches or so maybe 2, how big of a tank would you recommend? In the future as he grows I will get a larger tank

I think 30 gallons would be big enough for a single bullfrog. They are real pigs can't really be kept with anything that moves.

I read that they need a tank set up as like half or 3/4 water with swimming room. Make sure you wash your hands before and after handling as it's wild caught! and also have a way of regulating temperature as this is very important for cold blooded animals

Make sure to keep your water parameters in check. Because he's wild they're really sensitive to changes and dont handle them well.

Just found this post and thought I would offer some advice. First he/she needs land. Bull frogs are not completely aquatic. I have a frog pond and have large numbers living around it. They only go to the water to breed. They live "around" water not "in" it. They still need moist areas, not wet. Plenty of plant life and shelter. A clay flower pot laid on its side, half buried, with lots of plant life around it works great. Logs with bark are good. They are very sensitive to chlorine and chemicals. Tap water will not work. Rainwater, spring water, or other pure water is needed. Bull frogs do not make good captive pets. They seldom survive long in aquariums. That is why they are not sold as pets.

It would be best to release him and get a pet frog from captivity.

Back
Top Bottom