Ammonia problem in frog tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magoop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I mentioned the bugger a few weeks back when talking about my guppy tank, and am now happy to say the tadpole has fully morphed into a frog!
Not entirely sure on species yet. My brother-in-law knows a professor that specializes in frogs, so we should be able to get a more enducated guess in the next few days.
The attatchment is a photo of him from a day ago.

In the meantime they have been placed in a 2/3s full 10 gallon tank with a small turtle dock and an undergravel filter.
Ammonia has been very, very high since they have finished metamorphasizing. I've been doing pwc of 50-75 % daily and making sure I use API ammonia lock after each change as well as treating the new water with Prime and Stabilize. The only other inhabitant of the aquarium is a nerite snail, but I have a feeling I'll be moving that to one of my other tanks tomorrow.
Frog is doing great, seems to be eating the fruit flies I've offered and keeps growing.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be doing besides water changes and the usual removal of any noticable debris. The cycle has started as I've noticed an increase of nitrItes and nitrAtes, but it is lagging behind.

Any tips would be appreciated. And if I need to pick anything up I'll be able to tomorrow, was mostly thinking since I don't have to worry about the filter current being too strong I could get an internal filter to help so mechanical filtration, as I recall reading these guys are messier than your average fish.

Sent from my VS880 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1469605390865.jpg
    1469605390865.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 97
Still having ammonia issues, doing Water changes every day, did a major one yesterday and another one today, ammonia is reading lower but is still at 0.5 ( before it was nearly off the API test kit color chart) I've been using about 1.5 ml of Prime and have been using Stability.
I've also purchased an internal filter (simple sponge with a bit of activated carbon) to help provide extra airation and places for bb, and help the under gravel filter.
I haven't heard back yet, but the more the frog grows he looks more like some kind of leopard frog to my untrained eye.
The frog seems to be doing well, he's still eating and growing, so I'm at a loss.
Am I doing anything wrong? Or should I just keep up with the water changes?

Water changes (and tank cleans like gravel vacs - being careful not to be too aggressive and disturb bacteria) is best way I know of. Unfortunately it's time consuming.

I don't mind the time, it's just I'm unable to move too much water on my own due to recent surgery, but thankfully the frog is pretty cute so everyone wants to help out XD
Are there any other things to avoid or keep in mind? Haven't really had an amphibian before.
It is a lot of fun though

Prime is pretty good at detoxifying most stuff. I do have a packet of the ammonia absorbing zeolite but tbh the water change I find the simplest way.

I would try ammo-carb I always swore by that stuff when I had freshwater critters
frogs/newts/turtles ect

Back
Top Bottom