Angelfish suddenly disappeared???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shiina107

Aquarium Advice Regular
I left my tanks last Friday for the weekend, all 3 of my angels in my 55 were completely fine like they normally are. When I came back Monday night my Altum angel has COMPLETELY disappeared! [emoji24] I can’t find her anywhere!!! I raised her from just the size of a nickel and it breaks my heart...I haven’t discovered her body anywhere outside the tank so my last hypothesis is that she passed and my several cories, 2 plecos and my dojo loach all got ahold of her corpse before I could see it.. my parameters were all fine when I got back: 0ppm nitrite/ammonia, <15 Nitrate.. does anyone have any experience with seemingly healthy fish just dying??? I’m just beating myself up hella right now because I let this happen...

Sometimes fish get picked on. They can only take it for so long until they eventually pass. I’m not sure this is the case but it’s possible. Doesn’t mean you did anything wrong it just happens sometimes.

Years ago my daughter had a seven inch common pleco and one adult black Angel in her 29 gal. tank. Both fish were healthy and long time tankmates. One day the Angel came up missing. Upon investigation, I located the Angels body inside the Pleco's lair, a big plastic castle. I'm reasonably sure the Pleco murdered the Angel, rather than a natural death. The Angel was very healthy and active prior to the incident.

Hello, sounds like you really care for your fish. You might want to know that a dojo loach(weather loach)needs temps 64-72°(cold water fish). If kept in tropical temps will shorten life span by half(8-10yrs). I know this because I bought a 2 at petco for 10gal without researching. Now I have a 55 goldie tank so i could keep them! Hope this helps!20190326_173107.jpg

Same happend to me try to check for little pieces of bone my common pleco got eaten by a tiny bristelnose pleco..

I’m in full blown PANIC MODE at the moment as my largest Angelfish has just died and I found the corpse!!! WHATS CAUSING THIS??? My Ammonia was 0PPM and so was nitrites!!!! [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24] my water isn’t experiencing any spikes or anything.... the only thing I’ve done is almost completely rescaped the tank, and my 2 beautiful angels are dead... the last one looks so lonely now[emoji22][emoji22][emoji22][emoji22] does anyone have any suggestions as to why this happened???

If it isn't a water quality issue the only thing I can think of is it could be a disease you weren't aware of or they're being attacked.

So sorry to hear the bad news.

Stirring up the substrate may have cause a spike in water quality.

When was the last time you added any new fish or snails, or plants to the tank?

Did you change the filter media or wash it in plain tap water?

So sorry to hear the bad news.

Stirring up the substrate may have cause a spike in water quality.

When was the last time you added any new fish or snails, or plants to the tank?

Did you change the filter media or wash it in plain tap water?

Idk if anyone cares anymore but I found the reason they died. After stirring up my substrate during a rescape, I tested my water which came back for 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, and even minimal nitrates (only like <30ppm and this is a heavily planted tank) so that Def didn’t kill them. However, I have a blue gourami in the tank who tends to get a little nippy...and he never comes out and is aggressive unless I leave the room because I’ve walked into the room to see small fits of bullying and chasing from him... my guess is he bullied and stressed my previous angels to death. I have since moved him to another tank and since then I’ve had absolutely zero issues.

Glad to hear they are much happier now.

Long back someone gave me a Opaline Gourami they didn't want. She was a chill fish minding her own business, but when the Angels started spawning and making their territory for laying eggs, they got very mean to the easy going Gourami. Time after time ram charging into the Gourami.

And one day I saw her chase and ram the Angels in pay back - looked like a little biting or mouth ramming and chasing them hard and the Angels seemed to really think twice about the more angry /aggressive behavior and would mostly swim the Gourami away, like herded away from their space.

So maybe they had a similar fight.

Back
Top Bottom