Aquatic terrarium plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys!!! I'm usually in the reef section but I have to ruck something by you guys. I want to set up an aqua terrarium with the tetra fauna viquarium. I plan to do this with a 55 gallon tank and have about 15 gallons of water. On the land side I'll house a green tree frog. Has anyone ever done this?

I wouldn't because tree frogs can drown easily. I've been keeping fish and reptiles for years and if the tree frog can't stand out of the water there is a high risk it won't be able to get out.so if you proceed I would suggest a large piece of drift wood leading out of the water on to the land area so it can climb out, otherwise you could always try fire belly toads or various newts, salamanders, frogs, axolotls, etc.

Haven't used that particular one. Sounds like you should have a lot of extra space. You planning on tall plants or some type of background?

The land area will be about 2ft long of that helps. I won't use live plants just plastic.

And my lfs has a rock background that frogs can climb on but it's really expensive.

Usually yes because they're not so great at catching them although if small enough they'll probably try to go for them but they do like insect foods much more so if you kept them well feed I don't even think they would try to catch the fish, so if you got fish I wouldn't worry about cuz they suck at catching them

How many could I keep? For fish it will be
2 bloodfin tetras
5 neon tetras
1 pleco?
2 apple snails
3 Khuli loaches
10 rcs

That depends on how much clean water is available to them and their size I've heard anything from 1 gallon per fish to 10 gallons per fish. But it seems like those are smaller end fish so I'd say they'd be fine if the tank was half full or well aerated.

:cool::cool:the 2 bloodfins and the 5 neons are from my current 10 gallon.
so what would you guys do as far as amphibians in this set up. so far I'm thinking a fire belly toad and maybe an anole? what about a fire belly toad, anole, and a salamander?:dance:

Anoles are pretty cool, although not sure how they do around water. The salamander might be pretty interesting as well, so long as you don't have any dirt for them to bury themselves in. Although a salamander might bother the smaller fish. Don't know anything about the fire belly toads.

My personal choice would be a newt or a salamander but that's just me. Salamander runs a higher risk of losing fish and newts aren't big enough to eat almost any fish. But if you're already leaning towards fire belly toads then I would just do that. Also I've seen situations of fire belly newts and toads cohabitating and in some cases freshwater crabs too

I had a setup similar to that in a 75 gallon and I had two convicts and a bullfrog.. He would try to east the fish but as long as they have hiding spots they should ok

Back
Top Bottom