Axolotl filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

axolover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I plan on buying two axolotls for a 55 gallon tank I have. I’d like to buy a fluval filter , and I’m not sure how far i should go on the gph turnover for them. I’m thinking the 383 gph but idk if that’s too little bc they’re messy . But I know they hate flow . And are there any recommendations?

Not very much conversation involving Axolotis on this site. IMO, a Fluval 70 or 110 would be fine. If you prefer a lower water flow, just attach a small Fluval sponge to the intake tube. Design your hardscape with ledges and caves so the Axolotis can avoid the current when they want to.

With any canister, a spray bar does a fine job of distributing flow. I would place it at one end of the tank and direct it along the surface the length of the tank. By the time the current gets to the bottom of the tank (where the axolotls are) it should be greatly reduced.

With any canister, a spray bar does a fine job of distributing flow. I would place it at one end of the tank and direct it along the surface the length of the tank. By the time the current gets to the bottom of the tank (where the axolotls are) it should be greatly reduced.

Tysm! What’s your opinion on sponge filters ?

Perfect for many applications. Are you considering using one (or two)?
Planning on going bare bottom or sand with this tank?

I want to use a very fine sand and if two would be better I would use two

Not very much conversation involving Axolotis on this site. IMO, a Fluval 70 or 110 would be fine. If you prefer a lower water flow, just attach a small Fluval sponge to the intake tube. Design your hardscape with ledges and caves so the Axolotis can avoid the current when they want to.

Thank you ! This helped me a ton when looking at my options .

Back
Top Bottom