axolotl help wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jp69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im thinking about buying axolotl fish for my tank...i have a 120 gallon tank but with a few fish in like clown loaches and red line torpedo barb but all of them are bigger than 10 cm....can i get a axolotl in there??

Ok, first of all axolotl are coldwater fish, so it will likely die in a tropical set up, I wouldn't risk it since they are quite pricey
They can fare well in a 20 gallon long man, get one

I read that their temperature can go up to 24 degrees so i would just put it at 23 degrees?

What's the min temp I would put it at the middle of min and max

I wouldn't do that. Max temps are not meant for permanent or even long term exposure just for during the summer months at the most.
You need to try and get the axolotle into a cold water set up right in the middle of his comfort zone temp wise if possible.

I've been wanting one for a longgg time but all my tanks have tropically currently and I don't have room for anymore. If you do end up buying one I'd love to hear updates on him!

+1, you can be in a 90 degree room, but that wouldn't be too comfortable and you wouldn't survive long would you

Axolotl do best at 60-65 degrees with no other fish in the tank. They are social and prefer the company of other axolotl. However, if keeping one. When a baby, you can start with a 10, however I wouldn't. I would personally go with a 20 long for one with a canister filter and a chiller.

Erm... am I missing something here? Axolotyls are not fish??? They are amphibians. Warm water causes them problems, they are a cool water animal.

Axolotl in the wild live in glacier lakes. Keep the water temp between 60-65. At the most 68. No tropical fish with them. No fish period. They are a species only tank. Most of their time is spent on the bottom of the tank walking. So always to a long tank with more walking space. They do best with a canister filter with a spray bar. No gravel in the tank period. Either go sand or bare bottom! You will either have to rotate frozen water bottles or invest in a chiller. I recommend the chiller. Keeping the water constantly cool with a consistent temp means a healthy axolotl. They live 15-20 yrs sometimes longer. So the cost of a chiller is justified. As is investing in a larger tank. I'm having a custom 210 extra long made but I have committed to a community for the next 20 plus years. So I am investing in the equipment to get started. I currently have three babies in a temporary 20 gallon long holding tank, they will be moved to a 55 gallon after the holidays until the big tank gets here. They won't last long in warmer water or with other fish.

Another tidbit to know, the glacier lakes where they lived in Mexico where destroyed. There are now less then 100 left in the wild. They are officially an endangered species, now surviving in aquariums across the world. They are now fighting for survival. So please, do your research before buying one. One google search is enough to get you started. That's why I invested in the equipment I did and made the 20 year or longer commitment I did. They are not like guppies, and they are on the endangered species list. With the right equipment they are a breeze to care for. But owners that don't invest in the equipment and don't want to keep up with the frozen water bottle rotations daily and the frequent water changes, have no business owning them, without those things they die quickly.

Back
Top Bottom