Axolotl Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbFErwin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could I get away with one axolotl in a 6.6 gallon Fluval Chi tank?
Most places I look say at least 10 gallons, but is this doable?

At adulthood you would not be able to keep the filter clean enough to properly care for the Axie. They can be messy eaters and miss stuff.

I keep 2 Edge tanks and cleaning the tanks would be difficult. I think 10G would be better. My friend keeps Axies and she agrees 10G would be a min. size and a little bigger would be better. She has 4 in a 55G. Always feeding and having to clean the tank!

I always wanted an axoloti there so cool, but I can't feed live animals to anything, and as for chopping up earthworms not a chance I'd be sick before that and I can't chop up frozen meat or seafood either, I don't eat meat or seafood so I won't feed an animal it

Is there any not live food that they could have instead, like pellets and veggies that they would thrive on I no it might seem a stupid question, but it's worth asking

Sent from my fish phone

A 6.6 is waaay too small IMO. Really a juvenile to live comfortably would a 10 gallon, while a single adult axolotl would be comfortable in a 20 gallon long.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have my two young Axxies in a 15 gallon tank at the moment, but I'm placing an order for either a 30 long or 40 long for the end of September. Right now the two are happy living together and are good friends, but a 6.6 is small for even 1!

I always wanted an axoloti there so cool, but I can't feed live animals to anything, and as for chopping up earthworms not a chance I'd be sick before that and I can't chop up frozen meat or seafood either, I don't eat meat or seafood so I won't feed an animal it

Is there any not live food that they could have instead, like pellets and veggies that they would thrive on I no it might seem a stupid question, but it's worth asking

Sent from my fish phone

You can feed frozen blood worms, that's what I feed mine.

Back
Top Bottom