axolotls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been following y'all's thread in the background because I'm intrigued by these lil guys! I want to see pics of your new buddies!

I've got a couple pics!!!

ForumRunner_20130525_000007.jpg

This is the full tank shot. I think I went overboard with hiding spots lol

ForumRunner_20130525_000026.jpg
This is the luecistic

ForumRunner_20130525_000039.jpg
And another shot of him/her

I haven't got a good pic of my wild yet! Everytime I check on them hes hiding somewhere else

I didn't get a cooler for my tank.. I'm relying on central air in the house to keep the tank at a proper temp.. Coolers are crazy expensive! Lol. I just got my guys in Feb, so hopefully A/C is enough for the hot summers in Winnipeg! We'll soon find out!

I used to have Mollies too before I got the axies! I love them. My favorite one died, that's why I decided to make the switch lol! He was a gorgeous calico named Prince William. Haha.

Hopefully your central air is enough...thats what im banking on too.(I am keeping an eye on Craigslist possibly for a cheap chiller)so far so good with these guys though! They're eating live black worms and I gave them some earthworm today-which they loved! Yours are about the same size right (4-5 inches)? Do you feed them anything else? Oh and I have to thank you for giving me the floating plant idea :) im hoping it starts to grow and I get more coverage at the top

I've got a couple pics!!!

This is the full tank shot. I think I went overboard with hiding spots lol

This is the luecistic

And another shot of him/her

I haven't got a good pic of my wild yet! Everytime I check on them hes hiding somewhere else

AWESOME! They are so very 'other worldly' to me! Thanks for posting pics of the new younguns, I'll be watching for pics of your wild too :)

Ahh so cute! Haha, I love axies! Yes, my smallest is 4.5" and my biggest is 5.5", the other two are about 5.25" or so.. I like your tank set up! Very nice! I feed mine earthworms, frozen bloodworms, axolotl pellets (i found some on eBay) and frozen brine shrimp, sometimes.. Brine shrimp is so messy I don't like giving it to them haha.

Let's see your wild type! The color on my wild type just started developing in the last couple weeks... She is getting a green body and her gills are a burgundy / red color! It's cool cause her whole body looked like a tan-ish color until recently!

Have you thought of names yet? :)

AWESOME! They are so very 'other worldly' to me! Thanks for posting pics of the new younguns, I'll be watching for pics of your wild too :)

Im cleaning the tank today so hopefully will get a good pic of the wild! I think youre right on with "other worldly" after all my tanks are set up I still think theyll be my favorites

Ahh so cute! Haha, I love axies! Yes, my smallest is 4.5" and my biggest is 5.5", the other two are about 5.25" or so.. I like your tank set up! Very nice! I feed mine earthworms, frozen bloodworms, axolotl pellets (i found some on eBay) and frozen brine shrimp, sometimes.. Brine shrimp is so messy I don't like giving it to them haha.

Let's see your wild type! The color on my wild type just started developing in the last couple weeks... She is getting a green body and her gills are a burgundy / red color! It's cool cause her whole body looked like a tan-ish color until recently!

Have you thought of names yet? :)

I have the live black worms(which are disgusting :p) frozen bloodworms and shrimp and earthworms, I will check out those pellets. I want to make sure im giving these guys what they need. My wild is a green with darker spots,hopefully cleaning the tank will let me get a good pic.:) I havent thought of names yet, I never name my fish but I do think these NEED a name! Hows your weather there? We are supposed to be seeing upper 80s by the weekend so im a little nervous. I wish I could just go buy a chiller, but my husband would not be happy! I already spend way too much on this hobby

Am I right in saying that you need a canister filter for a chiller? I have a HOB filter so I'm not sure if I would also need to buy a canister filter for the chiller.. That's just from the chillers that I have found around google anyway, let me know if you know! Haha thanks!

The weather here has been okay so far.. I think in the mid 70s.. We are Celsius so it's been 20-30 during the day. The warmest I saw the temp of my water was 70! We do get really hot summers here in Winnipeg with the humidity bringing it to 40c some days! Crazy. So I think when I see it get a bit higher ill do a water change with fresh cold water.. I really don't want to have to buy a chiller lol. And I have no idea how to use canister filters (if you even need one, I could just suck at googling lol)

How are your axies?! I'm going to buy some sand today!!

Actually, the lowest you can house an axie in is ten gallons, they don't like much light, NO GRAVEL EVER, they are coldwater!

Actually, the lowest you can house an axie in is ten gallons, they don't like much light, NO GRAVEL EVER, they are coldwater!

Axies can reach up to 18" long, with average being about 9-10". They should not be kept in a ten gallon tank. They are very messy, they eat a lot and poop a lot. They like to explore, they would not be happy in a ten gallon at all. You would have to do water changes at least three times a week to keep the water & tank clean. Smallest tank size recommended is 20 gallon long for one axolotl. Add ten gal for each additional axie. Basically the same housing rules as goldfish.

Oh. Then why does it say that on Caudata? Hmm... What am I gonna do? I only have a twenty gallon regular for the axie I'm getting. Oh, well, got my facts wrong.

Finally got mine! 3 of them for 70 bucks.. yes I know it's a steal.. two speckled and one albino will upload pics soon

What kind of cleaner fish can I use if not a pleco? I have not yet had any problems with the gravel because I am hand feeding them but I plan on taking out the gravel either today or tomorrow. Does anyone have any ideas on homemade hiding for these guys? As of right now I have them all in the same tank.. would I need three separate hides? I'm selling the smaller wild and albino for 30 and 40 dollars... anyone interested? I'm not sure how to ship a fish though...

i think theyll eat any fosh that fit in their mouths. and as for hiding you can use flower pots turned on their side, or pvc

they will eat almost all fish or at least give it a go and the problem with the pleco is it has spines around its gills and you will probably lose both plec and axie

You need a min of a 10 gallon tank for one. Think floor space instead of swimming space for them to walk around. They are social animals. The are happier in groups. They require a tank with other fish. They must be kept by them selves. They need cool water so you will either have to rotate frozen water bottles or buy a chiller.

Sorry typos! Without other fish! No fish in the tank with them period! Axolotl are not tropical. Water temp 60-65. In the wild there homes were glacial lakes. And the few fish that can be kept with them peak at their gills. No Fish!

Back
Top Bottom