Baby Map Turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stellah

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello!

Yesterday I "adopted" a baby map turtle. I have done some research on my own, but anything anyone could tell me about what to expect would be great. So far, (I've only had him one day) he doesn't have a UVB light, but just a basking light, and a wet/dry mini heater under some rocks.. The water is about about an inch and a half deep, and he can get out, and stick his head up.

I think he slept in the water last night/ is that normal? What is normal map turtle behavior? Haha I'm new to the whole turtle thing...

Any advice at all would be great, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image-640985772.jpg
    image-640985772.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 116
  • image-2964206727.jpg
    image-2964206727.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 122
  • image-2050584665.jpg
    image-2050584665.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 121
  • image-3694158602.jpg
    image-3694158602.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 128
He well need a UVB and they do sleep under water ^.^ I had a map turtle gave him to my aunt she loves him there really good pets

Congrats, theyre so cute. I have one that was given to us few years ago. hes come a long way. Hes quirky, sometimes will stay in the water for days never coming out, to basking days where he`ll sit under the uvb for 6 or 7 hours, then back in the water where he sleeps. Clean water is important, foul water will cause all sorts of health issues. A uvb is also important.

Currently redoing his whole tank and building a landing that goes around the top of the tank, so i had to move him this week so I could build it. He swims and is all over the tank alot. Im hoping with the bigger landing area he`ll come out more. Hope you dont mind if i share a few pics. Mines older, young ones need less water. I'll be using a 40 breeder tank for the water area. It.ll be completely enclosed (lined with plexi) with a front panel that opens up on a hinge, ill put a heat lamp on the left and the uvb between the landing and the water area where he spends alot of time. I wanted a ledge on the back and side in case I add a cannister filter or anything I can just drill a hole up. Pics are a little dark, sorry.

img_2705336_0_682dfd4b8a20a6960b1f1e59e728d7d2.jpg

img_2705336_1_85813739b5585e027b8aa7792205370b.jpg

I realized I didnt take a tank shot, camera phone is junky, but you can see him bottom center, in his temp tank, lol.

img_2705336_2_db50b19ce31aa9f9f6b840530c8151b7.jpg

img_2705336_3_ee3fa75334b42d3bb952ce83c608190e.jpg

They are awesome turtles full of personality. I feed mine reptomin as a staple diet, but I also feed him depending on availability, kale and earthworms, but not often, about every other week he`ll get one or the other. Ive tried crickets, but he shows no interest in them, but could be just mine, he seems to be afraid of them. Hope you have great luck and fun with him, Cant wait to see how he develops.

I do agree with Vicdad!
And congratulations! I am more knowledgable with Red Eared Sliders, but yes! I would say get an aquarium, NOT a pet-store pre made " Turtle Tank."
10 gallons per inch length of turtle will give nice swimming area! And YES! UVB lighting is important! Basking area should be around 90 degrees, while water heated to about 75-85 avg. the tank I see in your photos, it will do okay for the time being, when that little cutie grows! He'll need some room! I'd say put some more water in that tank! For a basking area (if low on some money) get some nice sturdy (not extremely heavy) large rocks, and make a little "table" that has flat rock on top, enough for the turtle to climb onto and soak in some heat!
Also, a filter for the tank would do! As Vicadd said, dirty water can cause sickness for turtles, fairly easily, including salmonella! The information I'm giving is perfect for Red Eared Sliders, Map turtles are similar in needs, so I'd imagine the temperatures being the same! ^o^ also for food, little baby feeder goldfish would be good! Also Reptomin is one of the best (I, as many others) food to supply turtle with. Romaine lettuce is delicious! No cabbage or spinach!

Back
Top Bottom