Baby snapper rescue.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Being near Asheville, I'm sure there's closer places in Pisgah to turn it loose although that isn't advised. When its time to let it go, I would contact wildlife authorities and see if there's a place that'll take it as part of an educational program or something. Even trying to keep it as wild as possible, no tank will simulate being in a big murky body of water and learn to adequately hunt along with hibernation.

Can we see an updated pic? Sure looks like an alligator snapper to me. I had one that we needed removed from our small pond(think small fishing pond, 20 ft wide by 30 ft long, not goldfish pond), he was over 25" head to tail and about 16" wide. Kept him for around 2 weeks in a 40 breeder, contacted my local zoo and they had space in a snapper setup they ran. I've been back a few times and think I see him every time lol.

My grandfathers plan was turtle stew which sadly is a real thing... we went with my plan.

You mean Spike? Yeah, we do have lots of places. I need to find somewhere really remote though. Folks shoot and eat snappers around here lol. I may keep him longer. I'm attached to the little monster. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can we see an updated pic? Sure looks like an alligator snapper to me. I had one that we needed removed from our small pond(think small fishing pond, 20 ft wide by 30 ft long, not goldfish pond), he was over 25" head to tail and about 16" wide. Kept him for around 2 weeks in a 40 breeder, contacted my local zoo and they had space in a snapper setup they ran. I've been back a few times and think I see him every time lol.

My grandfathers plan was turtle stew which sadly is a real thing... we went with my plan.

Wow, big turtle! It's nice that he has a good home. I couldn't get a really good pic. What do you think? Common, alligator?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429391131.201422.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429391161.750007.jpg

Being near Asheville, I'm sure there's closer places in Pisgah to turn it loose although that isn't advised. When its time to let it go, I would contact wildlife authorities and see if there's a place that'll take it as part of an educational program or something. Even trying to keep it as wild as possible, no tank will simulate being in a big murky body of water and learn to adequately hunt along with hibernation.

I did. I was told that there is a reptile rescue in the area, or that he would be perfectly fine if I released him. Those Pisgah creeks are awfully cold. I live really close to Lake James, which has lots of warmer marshy areas around its banks, but I worry about him being killed by idiots around here. Not that people who hunt, kill and eat turtles are idiots IMO, but there are idiots that just shoot them for the heck of it. Snakes too.

The sooner you release him and let him learn how to live in the wild though the better chance he will have at actual survival.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My RES never basks. He will climb halfway onto his haul out, leaving his lower half in the water and chill but very rarely get completely out of the water.

I think they should though from what I've read. Mine used to everyday. When winter arrived she stopped and she hasn't started back. I'm concerned.

The sooner you release him and let him learn how to live in the wild though the better chance he will have at actual survival.

Yeah, and the weather is getting warm enough to give him a good start. I will probably find a suitable spot asap. He's still quite small though.

I had a common that had those ridges when he was young.

If I remember correctly the alligators have a much longer neck, like to where they could reach the back of their shells if they turned their head back. Alligators also have the little "lure" in their mouth whereas commons don't.

I had a common that had those ridges when he was young.

If I remember correctly the alligators have a much longer neck, like to where they could reach the back of their shells if they turned their head back. Alligators also have the little "lure" in their mouth whereas commons don't.

This guy can definitely reach the back of his shell. He's tried to take a chunk out of my fingers a few times when I picked him up to move him so I could clean his tank. It freaked me out how long his neck was.

Definitely alligator then. My common could only reach behind his front legs if I picked him up.

Definitely a common, the head is too small, the nose too blunt and the ridges too small to be a gator http://rs719.pbsrc.com/albums/ww194/gillie_photos/BabyAST005.jpg~320x480
http://rs719.pbsrc.com/albums/ww194/gillie_photos/BabyAST001.jpg~320x480

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Then why would he have the ability to reach all the way back with his neck like an alligator? I feel like if the common I had could have done that he would have bitten me a few times that I picked him up.

OP, can you get a picture holding him like Gillie posted? To me the nose looks about the same as what was posted. Either way though, any new information on releasing him?

Then why would he have the ability to reach all the way back with his neck like an alligator? I feel like if the common I had could have done that he would have bitten me a few times that I picked him up.

OP, can you get a picture holding him like Gillie posted? To me the nose looks about the same as what was posted. Either way though, any new information on releasing him?

I'll certainly try. He does it so fast it may be difficult. Scared the crap out of me the first time. I had no idea his neck could stretch so far. Thankfully I didn't drop him. I'm still considering places where I don't think anyone goes fishing.

Back
Top Bottom