Baby snapper rescue.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ready to pick up my RES? Lol

Haha no thanks! My slider was just given permission to move into a pond owned by a sister of a lady I work with. So sad but yet so great too. I'm definitely downsizing. Funny thing, out of all the tanks I've had since I started a few years ago, including my nano reef, my simple little 40b community tank has remained my most favorite. Once my slider goes to her pond tomorrow, that will be the only tank I have. I'm so good with that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey! Excellent turnover:) that looks like a turtle eden there. Every thanksgiving you can throw a couple drummies in there for him!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha yeah. I think he's got a good chance there. Critters for him to eat everywhere!

I'm just really glad it worked out. Again, I'm sorry if I came off rude. I believe you did the right thing as well, and let's face it, you saved his life. In the possession of your student he wouldn't be here now.

I'm just really glad it worked out. Again, I'm sorry if I came off rude. I believe you did the right thing as well, and let's face it, you saved his life. In the possession of your student he wouldn't be here now.

It's cool. I know you meant well :)

Awesome! Looks like he can enjoy a long happy life there. I think they live like 30 years.

The YBS seems to be doing just fine in the pond, but I'd like your opinion.

First though, interestingly enough I found out where the turtle came from.
Our new custodian at school was commenting on my turtle tank I was breaking down shortly after releasing "Buttercup" (I know) into the pond. Come to find out, he was the one that actually bought it about 6 years ago while on vacation as one of those cruel novelty items that merchants sell at Myrtle Beach. You know, the tiny turtle in the little bowl :nono:. He bought 2 for his boys, and luckily for the turtles he got his boys involved with learning proper care etc... They had the turtles for a few years, then for whatever reason gave them to another teacher where I now work. That teacher kept them for a few years, then it became too dangerous because her autistic students were putting fingers in the tank. (Plus they were keeping these turtles in a 20g tank). Anyway, this is where I come in. The teacher desperately wanted to find a home for them, and I volunteered. I found a home for RES and kept the other. When we finally put 2 and 2 together we couldn't believe it! Just thought I'd share lol.

My question...since she has been in captivity all of her life, will she instinctively hibernate this winter? I'm really concerned.

Our new custodian at school was commenting on my turtle tank I was breaking down shortly after releasing "Buttercup" (I know) into the pond. Come to find out, he was the one that actually bought it about 6 years ago while on vacation as one of those cruel novelty items that merchants sell at Myrtle Beach. You know, the tiny turtle in the little bowl :nono:. He bought 2 for his boys, and luckily for the turtles he got his boys involved with learning proper care etc... They had the turtles for a few years, then for whatever reason gave them to another teacher where I now work. That teacher kept them for a few years, then it became too dangerous because her autistic students were putting fingers in the tank. (Plus they were keeping these turtles in a 20g tank). Anyway, this is where I come in. The teacher desperately wanted to find a home for them, and I volunteered. I found a home for RES and kept the other. When we finally put 2 and 2 together we couldn't believe it! Just thought I'd share lol.

My question...since she has been in captivity all of her life, will she instinctively hibernate this winter? I'm really concerned.

This is a valid concern. My experience in herps has mainly been kept to strictly captive species. I have kept snakes that despite captive birth and two to three years with no hibernation that still instinctively hibernated in their first year of breeding prep. IMO he will hibernate, however I understand the concern and wouldn't blame you for taking action. This is an entirely different situation to that sweet little wild snapper.

Wow, Thats a really crazy story! Im glad she's in a place where she can live safely! (y) I would imagine that the natural temp. drop would induce hibernation instincts. Im not 100% sure though. I didn't know that people bred Snappers commercially.

Wow, Thats a really crazy story! Im glad she's in a place where she can live safely! (y) I would imagine that the natural temp. drop would induce hibernation instincts. Im not 100% sure though. I didn't know that people bred Snappers commercially.

The turtle in question is a yellow belly slider, not a snapper. The snapper was a different story dating to earlier this year.

The turtle in question is a yellow belly slider, not a snapper. The snapper was a different story dating to earlier this year.

Sorry for the confusion. The snapper was a baby that was confiscated from a student.
The Yellow Bellied Slider was my own personal turtle that I'd kept for a few years.

Do you suggest I get her from the pond?

Curious to see how your snapper is to this day!!!
My daughter 6yrs old hatched an egg, it's currently 2dys old and we are building ourselves a journey with it.

If it happens to become too much, we do have a 1 acre pond it can move into

Do you know what type of turtle it is yet?
I have no idea how little Spike is getting along. I like to think he's enjoying his swamp and being a wild, mean little snapper :)
I miss my slider badly, but no way could I have kept her. The females get so large, and I don't have the space.

Back
Top Bottom