Best non-aquatic plants for paludarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
I figured this would be a good place to ask this but I'm planning a future paludarium. I've only had aquariums so I'm a bit lost around land plants.
I have a good place to harvest moss (if that's ok) but have no clue about other shorter plants. I realize ivy would be good for a tall plant but what kind?

What plants do you have in your paludarium?

If it helps I'm planning on either keeping inverts or a pac man frog. Or nothing that needs overly specialized heating.

Honestly, I screwed up about a year ago and bought one thinking it was an aquatic plant. It was sitting in the aquatic plant section in a plastic tube. Stupid me didn't read up on it until I got home. It now sits in my kitchen in a vase with just the roots submerged in water. I add fertilizer every four weeks or so. One year later and it's still going without soil in a vase and window lighting.

Mine has never grown any type of flower. It just grows nice full shiny green leaves. Doesn't put off a smell either.
From what I've read it's a low maintenance house plant and not a true Lily.

I figured this would be a good place to ask this but I'm planning a future paludarium. I've only had aquariums so I'm a bit lost around land plants.
I have a good place to harvest moss (if that's ok) but have no clue about other shorter plants. I realize ivy would be good for a tall plant but what kind?

What plants do you have in your paludarium?

If it helps I'm planning on either keeping inverts or a pac man frog. Or nothing that needs overly specialized heating.

Hello Sara...

Chinese evergreen will work. It requires no special lighting other than room light. If you have a two fixture or even more shop light or strip light above, they'll do exceptionally well. I'll attach a photo of a larger tank with these plants, to give you and idea of what the Evergreen plants look like.

B

https://imgur.com/dqUNwVq

Looks nice,maybe too big but I'll have to see the plant in person. I have strip lighting at the top of my aquarium.

Non Aquatic Plants

Looks nice,maybe too big but I'll have to see the plant in person. I have strip lighting at the top of my aquarium.

Sara...

Those plants in the photo have been growing for years. They started small. If you wanted to keep them that way, you just trim them regularly. The plant is available at most hardware and grocery stores that carry plants and they're cheap. There are many different species and all take no more than room light.

B

Sounds good. Like I said I know very little about land plants. My tank is in a cabinet with a lid so the lights are on there anyway. That's why I don't need plants to be too tall as well.

Back
Top Bottom