Best substrate for burrowing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lukey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi :) sorry if this is a repost or not posted in right section. But I have a 3 toed amphiuma, (a 4 foot blind aquatic salamander) He's my baby and pride and joy. He's thriving, eating, enjoys hiding in his cave and hanging on the filter. He has a bichir and 2 rope fish as friends/tank mates, (they all snuggle). I noticed though he loves to dig and burrow. And i did research about them, and this species loves to hide in the mud. But the sand I have in my tank (idk name. Some type of black premium sand of ebay) is idk, compact/thick/dense? Like it takes effort and is hard to dig through. I wanna switch to a mud or dirt or something easier to burrow in, but I don't want something that will cloud or dirt up my tank. I was thinking about switching to pool filter sand but idk if it will be easier to dig or hide in. I would like something like garden soil, but idk how dirty or cloudy it would be? Any advice or suggestions or input? Thanks!
kH4Ymr2

Attachments

• 20191201_222627.jpg
    20191201_222627.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 100
Cool amphiuma!

I have pool filter sand in my mbuna tank and play sand in my frog tank. The pool filter sand is more granular and bigger particle size (think granular salt) than play sand.

I just set up my 20g tank with play sand (using it for the first time), it's very easy to dig through but it kicks up a cloud every time.
I have pool filter sand in my 55g and it's more compact but still easy to sift through.

Anyone try garden soil or something similar? What was the consistency and how cloudy/messy was it?

Back
Top Bottom