Buying A Turtle And Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamek909

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im almost done paying off a 90 gallon tank and im thinking of making it a turtle tank. I was wondering if there are freshwater turtles that dont need a shed for sunllight and are fully aquatic. Are there?

Snapping turtles don't really need basking spots and take quite a while to grow. But it would eat anything you put in the tank. Lol

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Soft shells are aquatic, but they get quite large. Snappers aren't a species I'd think of for a glass tank.
http://www.kyherpsoc.org/snappingturtlecare.htm

With Turtles you always need to plan long term. Cute babies don't stay small. "slow growing" might not be as slow as you expected. Check Turtle Rescues nearby. Many Turtles need a good home AND you'd get good advice rather than someone just trying to sell you something.

Snapping Turtles aren't legal in some areas. Never ever release a pet Turtle EVEN if it's native to your area.

Apologies if you know all this stuff. AA has a lot of newbies, so I post for a wide audience. :)

I'm a former member of the Northern California Herpetological Society.

There are some good vids of some really nice turtle habitats on YouTube as well as many that are doomed to failure :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks alot i think im going to get a mississippi map and a southern painted and fill the whole tank with water but above it make a basking area :)

Keep in mind that turtles can be very messy so a good filter is needed

With two turtles you will likely find a biowheel to be insufficient for your filtration needs, unless it is extremely oversized for your tank.

Moved your thread to a more appropriate subforum.

Yeah i know that i was wondering if some didnt need any

Um this is a good basking area but with your 90 it will need modified to fit I've seen one do with a 125 gallon so it's possible wanted to do with 180 but I can't afford it

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397308865.150193.jpg also I have 125 gallons of filtration on my 55 including my biowheel but it's only big unough tank for 1 turtle

You could check into the red ear sliders. Mine do fine and I barely have a spot for them to come out of fully. And my mine have been ok so far with the tank light. They grow fast sorta. Based on the tank size. Mine are around 3 to four months old. Give or take. For the bigger one. And around 2 months for the smaller one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I highly recommend getting a canister filter. The API filstar XP 3 would be a great filter for your 90 gallon. They are great filters that aren't outrageously expensive. Also you need a UVB light, preferably a UVB strip light. The zoo met reptisun 10.0 is a great bulb. You also need a basking spot because all turtles bask at some time or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom