Can a 'lizard' tank be used as a fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vmax911

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

I'm in the market for a used aquarium. I've found a good deal on a larger tank (I think 100 gallon), but it has been used as a lizard cage in the past (now empty). Is this something that can be used as a fish tank? Are there different brands of tanks, specifically for water or non-water use (ie thicker glass or something)?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, if it is a critter cage or something made for reptiles and small mammals then it was not designed to hold water.

If it is a regualr aquarium that was used to house a reptile then you certainly use it after a good cleaing. Be sure to check the silicone seals to see if they look good.

Also, something to keep in mind is that when you look at the overall cost of setting up a new aquarium, the cost of the actual tank itself is only a very small portion of the total cost (probably less than 20%). So if there is any doubt, I'd suggest buying the tank new just for the peace of mind.

Possibly. Tanks specifically manufactured for reptiles aren't usually strong enough to hold water. You'll have to find out from the person who bought the tank.

also, find out what kind of lizard was housed in there. some skinks and amphibians give off toxic secretions that are hard to get rid of.

Thanks for all the input. I'm going over to look at the tank in a few hours. I'll keep an eye out for a brand name. Also, I'm guessing that a 100 gallon aquarium would have a center support of somekind on the top frame, and a reptile one perhaps would not?

Obviously i dont know what the tank is but if you say its 100g its probably not a 'critter cage' as the largest size they come in is 40 breeder.
Lots of people refer to the tanks purpose based on what it was used for. I get it all the time at the shop i work at.

The noly thing i would look for is scratches/stains, etc. Reptiles and the cage accessories are usually a bit more rough on tanks than fish setups.

Thanks for all the replies. I saw the tank, it was actually a 50 gallon. Also, the center support had been removed (you could see where the silicone was torn up, I guess it was a glass brace. So I decided to pass on the tank. Guess I'll keep looking... <sigh>

That was a good move on your part. Glass for a reptile tank is usually half the thickness of a fish tank. A 50 gallon reptile tank glass sides are about 3mm. A fish tank of that size - 6mm.
It's like wearing a seatbelt that's already been cut half way through. It "might" work.

If you can go look at the tank, it will have a sticker on it saying "DO NOT FILL WITH WATER" on the bottom or if it is a big aquarium it wont have middle braces. If it doesn't have that sticker and does have the middle braces you can always bleach the tank to death. When my snake got too big for his 10g tank I converted it into a hospital tank, but it had a leak in it so I had to seal that too. Buying a Lizard tank can be pretty risky and a big Hassle so I'd look into what kind of tank it is more (specifically lizard) and what type of animals lived in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom