Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Aquatic Reptiles, Amphibians & Herpetology
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cleaning Emergency!!

Last night, i got an African Dwarf Frog in my betta tank. I've realized he's not the pet for me, so I will be returning him very soon. How can I disinfect his tank so no salmonella bacteria remains.

my substrate is sand, how do I clean that?i don't have a gravel vacuum

can I use bleach or vinegar?

Please respond quickly!

Old 07-29-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I would need to soak stuff overnight, I've got an empty fish bowl I could put my Betta in

Old 07-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wash your hands thoroughly after dealing with the tank and before eating. It's really not a thing you have to worry about unless you're planning on licking the frog.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

And get a gravel vac, you should have one for the betta.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok. I want all traces of the frog gone. Would I also bleach the sand? What's a good cleaning mixture for fish tanks?
Old 07-30-2017, 10:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why?

Don't use any detergent or bleach in the tank. Just regular water changes and filter maintenance. Clean the substrate as you normally would any unplanted tank. The traces of frog, if there are any, will be gone after a few water changes. Doing what you're proposing if it's a cycled tank you'll have to start from the beginning. If it's in the process of cycling, you'll be starting from day one all over again, and cause the betta more stress. There's nothing inherent about frogs that will hurt the betta or you. You should always wash your hands after doing anything involving tank water. Whether or not there was ever a frog in there. Fish also can carry diseases that are transmittable to humans. But you're far more likely to get salmonella from poorly handled chicken meat than your frog.

Tags
clean, cleaning

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com