Concerned for new Red-Bellied Turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tortimer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My fiance and I adopted a Red-Bellied Turtle six days ago that we named Tortimer. The man's wife was taking care of Tort, but she died, and he wanted nothing to do with him. He was feeding Tort only fish pellets for a long time, and the tank looked like it had never been cleaned in the two years he had it. Tort's tank was filled to the brim with nasty water, and only had a floating dock that was too small for him to lay on.
As soon as we got home, I scrubbed the tank for four hours, and then we boiled and rinsed Tort's rocks. The man gave us the UVB light and the filters, but we're replacing the bulb with the ReptiSun 5.0 just to make sure it's up to date. We threw the filters he gave us away and bought a new, clean filter for Tort. We bought the turtle topper you can see in the pictures along with the basking lamp for him as well.
Tortimer's shell is peeling all around, but I read that it is normal? But the main thing that worries me is his plastron(his belly.) It's very discolored(grey) and I know that this is not healthy.
Sorry for writing so much. Please give any advice you think may be helpful.

Here's a link to my page with pictures of Tortimer and his improved tank. Please click!
DeliciousSmores (Autumn) on deviantART

Discolouration of the shell is usually caused by lack of UVB or lack of nutrients in there diet. Your turtles diet should consist of fresh veggies such as romain lettuce, bok choi, aquatic plants, etc. For protein minnows, turtle pellets, crickets, brine shrimp, etc. and last calcium. Calcium is a big part In a turtle's diet because it helps with shell growth. Pet stores sell cuddle fish bone that you just put in the tank and the turtle will take a bite out of it when ever that feel like it. I have one in my tank and my turtle is always munching on it. Make sure your turtle has a large enough tank because most aquatic turtle species get really big. I would like to see a photo of this turtle close up if that is possible. I forgot to mention peeling of the skin is a sign the turtle is growing but I've never heard of peeling of the shell.

Turtle Shell2 by DeliciousSmores on deviantART

Thank you for responding! That's a picture close up of him.
I want to note that Tortimer now has a few faint red spots on his shell. I'm not sure if I hadn't noticed them before, or if they're new.

I see. It looks to me that your turtle has a mild fungal infection. Fungal infection are caused when the turtle can not get out to bask and there shells start to rot because they can't get out of the water. It's obvious the previous owner did not give this turtle a proper place to get out and bask. I can see by the tank you have your turtle has a proper spot to get out and bask now. Since the infection is only mild I would not stress over it because now that it has a proper place to bask it should be fine. The best thing to do for the turtle right now is make sure it has a lot of UVB so if possible put a second UVB bulb somewhere on the tank or get the repti glo 10.0 which is a stronger UVB bulb. Feeding it properly is also a very important part in getting this turtle back to health. Other than that you seem to be taking good care of this turtle but I would eventually get it a lager tank. I'm happy there is a person out there that cares enough about turtles to take one in and help it.

I'm sorry I'm leaving very long messages but I forgot to mention in the last huge message to make sure your turtle always has a clean tank. If you only have a turtle in the tank you can do 100% water changes once every week.

Back
Top Bottom